- Vincent Serventy
Armadale, Western Australia, the youngest of eight children of migrant Croatian parents, he graduated from the University of Western Australiain geology and psychology. He was a CSIRO researcher and teacher before beginning a career as a writer, lecturer and film-maker. He joined the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union(RAOU) in 1942 and served as either its Branch Secretary or State Representative for Western Australia1943-1959. In 1946 he became a life member of the Wildlife Preservation Society of Australiaand was for many years its President.
In 1956 he bought a movie camera and began making
documentary filmswhich led to Australia's first television environment program, "Nature Walkabout". [Stephens (2007)]
In 1974 he was awarded the
Australian Natural History Medallion. He was a recipient of the Medal of the Order of Australia.
Vincent Serventy was a younger brother of the eminent Australian ornithologist Dom Serventy.
Serventy wrote numerous articles on natural history and conservation. Some of his books are:
* "The Archipelago of the Recherche. Part 2: Birds" (AGS Report No.1. Australian Geographical Society: Melbourne, 1952)
* "The Australian Nature Trail" (Georgian House: Melbourne, 1965)
* "A Continent in Danger" (Survival Books. A Survival Special. Andre Deutsch: London, 1966)
* "Nature Walkabout" (Reed: Artarmon, 1969)
* "Southern Walkabout" (Reed: Artarmon, 1969)
* "Around the Bush with Vincent Serventy" (ABC: Sydney, 1970)
* "Dryandra. The story of an Australian forest" (Reed: Sydney, 1970)
* "Australia’s World Heritage Sites" (1985)
* "The Desert Sea. The Miracle of Lake Eyre in Flood" (Macmillan Australia: Melbourne, 1985)
* "Flight of the Shearwater" (Kangaroo Press: Kenthurst, 1996)
* "An Australian Life. Memoirs of a naturalist, conservationist, traveller and writer" (Fremantle Arts Centre Press: South Fremantle, 1999)
* Robin, Libby. (2001). "The Flight of the Emu: a hundred years of Australian ornithology 1901-2001". Carlton, Vic. Melbourne University Press. ISBN 0-522-84987-3
* Serventy, Vincent N. (1999). "An Australian Life. Memoirs of a naturalist, conservationist, traveller and writer".
Fremantle Arts Centre Press: South Fremantle. ISBN 1-86368-232-5
* Stephens, Tony (2007). "Green before it was fashionable: Vincent Serventy, 1916-2007" in "
The Sydney Morning Herald", 2007-09-12, p. 20 [http://www.smh.com.au/news/obituaries/green-before-it-was-fashionable/2007/09/11/1189276711964.html]
author, ornithologistand conservationist
DATE OF BIRTH=
January 6, 1916
PLACE OF BIRTH=
Armadale, Western Australia
DATE OF DEATH=
September 8, 2007
PLACE OF DEATH=
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.