- South Canterbury Rugby Football Union
Infobox_esl_club | clubname = South Canterbury
fullname = "South Canterbury Rugby Football Union"
emblem = Shield
colours = Green and Black
founded = 1888
Alpine Energy Stadium
web = [http://www.scrfu.co.nz/
The South Canterbury Rugby Football Union (SCRFU) is a rugby province based in the central South Island city of
Timaru, New Zealand. The South Canterbury team play from Alpine Energy Stadiumlocated in Timaru.
The South Canterbury Rugby Football Union (SCRFU) was formed in 1888 when it broke away from the
Canterbury Rugby Football Union. South Canterbury has produced a number of All Blacks and are one of the few unions to have played in all three Divisions of the NPC. South Canterbury has also had some notable victories over touring international sides including the 1961 French team
The South Canterbury Rugby team play from
Alpine Energy Stadium, Timaruand they play their rugby in the Heartland Championship. They also compete against Mid Canterbury and North Otago for the Hanan Shield.
outh Canterbury in Super Rugby
South Canterbury won the 2nd division South Island in 1976, 1977, 1981 and the 3rd division in 1986, 1991, 1998, and in 2001.
Heartland Championship placings
South Canterbury has held the
Ranfurly Shieldtwice, in 1950 and 1974.
**Coach: Brushy Mitchell (centre, second row)
**Captain: Morrie Goddard (third from left)
**Vice Captain: Lachie Grant (third from right)
**Captain: Ken Milne
Hanan Shieldis one of the most prestigious trophies in New Zealand's domestic rugby unioncompetition. First played for in 1946, the Hanan Shield is based on a challenge system played between North Otago, South Canterbury and Mid Canterbury.
South Canterbury Rugby Football Union is made up of 8 clubs:
* Celtic RFC
* Geraldine RFC
* Harlequins RFC
* Mackenzie RFC
* Old Boys RFC
* Pareora RFC
* Pleasant Point RFC
* Temuka RFC
* Waimate RFC
High School Teams
Timaru Boys' High School1st XV - Crusaders' Region Secondary Schools' Rugby Championship "The Press Cup"
There have been 22 players selected for the
All Blackswhilst playing their club rugby in South Canterbury.
Name, All Black No. & Year:
* John H Gardner, No.25, 1893
* Charles N MacIntosh, No.39, 1893
* David Stewart, No.54, 1894
* Alfred Budd, No.160, 1910
* Thomas W Lynch, No.177, 1913
* Augustine P Spillane, No.200, 1913
* Eric Cockroft, No.203, 1913
* Percival W Storey, No.224, 1920
* Ronald T Stewart, No.288, 1923
* Gordon P Lawson, No.320, 1925
* William Archie Strang, No.342, 1928
* Thomas C Metcalfe, No.384, 1931
George T. A. Adkins, No.409, 1935
* Thomas C Morrison, No.441, 1938
* Charles Saxton, No.443, 1938
* Maurice P Goddard, No.467, 1946
* Lachlan A Grant, No.471, 1947
* John W Goddard, No.499, 1949
* Thomas Coughlan, No.592, 1958
* Allan J Stewart, No.638, 1963
* Tom N. Lister, No.673, 1968
* John L Jaffray, No.711, 1972
To view player profile, go to [http://stats.allblacks.com/atoz.asp?group=A allblacks.com]
*South Canterbury Finance
List of All Blacks
* [http://www.nzrugbynet.com/nzrfu/Provincial+Unions/South+Canterbury+RFU/Home.htm/ NZrugbynet] Official Website
* [http://www.scrfu.co.nz/ SCRFU.co.nz]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.