- Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE Directive) is the
European Communitydirective 2002/96/EC on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) which, together with the RoHS Directive 2002/95/EC, became European Lawin February 2003, setting collection, recyclingand recovery targets for all types of electrical goods.
The directive imposes the responsibility for the disposal of waste electrical and electronic equipment on the manufacturers of such equipment. Those companies should establish an infrastructure for collecting WEEE, in such a way that "Users of electrical and electronic equipment from private households should have the possibility of returning WEEE at least free of charge". Also, the companies are compelled to use the collected waste in an ecological-friendly manner, either by ecological disposal or by reuse/refurbishment of the collected WEEE.
The WEEE Directive obliged the twenty-five EU member states to transpose its provisions into national law by
13 August 2004. Only Cyprusmet this deadline. On 13 August 2005, one year after the deadline, all member states except for Maltaand the UK had transposed at least framework regulations. As the national transposition of the WEEE Directive varies between the member states, a patchwork of requirements and compliance solutions is emerging across Europe.
In a bid to emphasise the importance of this directive, in
April 2005the Royal Society of Artsin the UK (in conjunction with Canon) unveiled a 7 metretall sculptureentitled 'WEEE Man' on London's South Bank, made from 3.3 tonnesof electrical goods - the average amount of electrical waste one UK individual creates in a lifetime. The giant figure was subsequently moved to the Eden Projectin Cornwall as part of a UK tour.
Electronic Waste recycling Act
List of European Union directives
Midex Reverse Technologies Limited
* [http://www.budget-pack.com Budget Pack] - A simple, low cost, secure way to comply with the WEEE Regulations
* [http://www.rohs-weee.eu EU Regulations compliance (WEEE, RoHS, Batteries, REACH)]
* [http://electrocollect.co.uk/content/TopLevelNavigation/WEEEDirective.aspx WEEE Directive explained in full]
* [http://ewasteguide.info/ e-Waste Guide] - A knowledge base for the sustainable recycling of e-Waste
* [http://india.ewasteguide.info/ Indian e-Waste Guide] - A knowledge base for the sustainable recycling of e-Waste specific to India
* [http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/weee_index.htm European Commission WEEE page]
** [http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:037:0019:0023:EN:PDF RoHS directive] (PDF)
** [http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:037:0024:0038:EN:PDF WEEE directive] (PDF)
* [http://www.weeeregistration.com/weee-registration/ Guidance on WEEE registration in every EEA (EU+EFTA) member state]
* [http://www.weee-registration.com Professional and tailormade guidance and general expertise in all 27 Member States(+Norway and Switzerland)]
* [http://www.eiatrack.org EIATRACK - Electronic Industries Alliance Regulatory Tracking Tool]
* [http://www.weeeman.org WEEE Man]
* [http://www.theRSA.org The Royal Society of Arts]
* [http://www.perchards.com WEEE and RoHS Legislation in Europe]
* [http://www.weeedirectory.com WEEE Recycling Directory for the UK]
* [http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/manufacture/standards/weee/what-is-the-weee-directive.php WEEE Directive overview and basics]
* [http://www.valpak.co.uk WEEE information for businesses]
* [http://www.vca.gov.uk VCA] - The UK Enforcement Body for WEEE Distributor Obligations
* [http://www.frn.org.uk/weee.asp FRN, the not-for-profit UK coordinator of WEEE re-use and collection activities]
* [http://www.stichtingrta.nl RTA, the not-for-profit Dutch organization for professional equipment WEEE collection and recycling activities]
* [http://www.pulltheplug.co.uk/ not-for-profit WEEE collector and reuser in Bristol and the West of England]
* [http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2007/06/29/41714/weee+directive+in+full+force+from+sunday.htm More on WEEE from Electronics Weekly]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.