- World Hunting Association
The World Hunting Association was founded in 2006 with the aim of organizing professional
deer huntingcompetitions. The hunts were to be conducted in a fenced 1000 acre (4 km²) ranch and would involve the use of Rifles, muzzleloaders and archeryequipment. As of January 2007, all mention of the hunting tournament has been removed from the WHA website, focussing instead upon the production of a reality TV program and an online community and news information center.
The proposed hunting competitions, now apparently abandoned, attracted considerable controversy.
Promotionof events followed a commercial format similar to professional bass fishing, consisting of an organized "tour" contested by a small group of "professional hunters" who were publicised along with the events themselves by the WHA. Competitions were to be televised on the internet, pay-per-viewand cable television. The WHA stated that the objective of the competition was to promote hunting by showcasing the activity.
Criticism came from other hunting organisations and businesses. For example,
Safari Club Internationalexpressed "serious concerns with attempts to 'professionalize' the tradition of the hunt, particularly with cash rewards". The Quality Deer Management Associationposition is that the "WHA’s program violates many elements of QDMA’s mission of ethical hunting, sound deer management and preservation of the deer-hunting heritage – values shared by the vast majority of deer hunters in North America." The original proposal for the WHA competition involved the shooting of deer with tranquilizer guns and darts, drawing considerable criticism from hunting and animal welfaregroups. In response to such criticism, in late August 2006 the WHA announced that this approach has been dropped in favor of more traditional methods. [cite news | url=http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/SPORTS07/608210310/1132/SPORTS0202 | title=Hunting league won't use darts | publisher=Detroit News | date=August 21, 2006] As of January 2007, it appears that the fenced hunt format has been abandoned completely.
* [http://www.worldhunt.com World Hunting Association]
* [http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1156429211251290.xml&coll=5 Flint Journal]
* [http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_89747.asp WHA Posting Inspires Much Reaction]
* [http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/08/060816-hunting.html Critics Take Aim at Plan for "Nonfatal" Deer Hunt]
* [http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_463988.html Making a game of it]
* [http://www.qdma.com/pdf/QDMA_Opposes_WHA.pdf QDMA statement of opposition to WHA]
* [http://www.safariclub.org/articles/index.cfm?action=view&articleID=2292&typeID=17&archive=0 Statement]
Safari Club International
* [http://www.archerytrade.org/newsletter/december06/index.html#2.2 WHA Presents to Archery Trade Association at ATA Summit]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.