- Crescent Heights High School (Calgary, Alberta)
Crescent Heights High School Address 1019 1st Street N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Coordinates Information School board Calgary Board of Education Principal Arvin Rajan School type Public secondary Grades 9–12 Mascot Cowboy Sam Team name Cowboys Colours Navy, Red, and White Established 1915 Enrolment 1 500+ Communities served Crescent Heights Homepage schools.cbe.ab.ca/b815
Crescent Heights High School is currently a high school with approximately 1700 students in grades 9-12 in Calgary, Alberta. The school is part of the Calgary Board of Education's public school system.
The name of Crescent Heights High School in 1915 was Crescent Heights Collegiate Institute and was located in what is now Balmoral School. By 1919, enrollment at CHHS was 980 students. The current building was erected in 1928 for a cost of $275,000. It was extensively renovated in 1985-86, with a second full-size gymnasium added, and the original gymnasium converted into an student centre. The basement lunch room was converted into a theatre.
- The first principal of Crescent Heights from 1915-1935 was William Aberhart, later Premier of Alberta.
- Another early teacher was Douglas Scott Harkness, who commanded an Anti-Tank Regiment of the Royal Canadian Artillery in the Second World War and served as Minister of National Defence after the war.
- Mabel Giles (who was also a Crescent alumna) came back to teach for 43 years before retiring in 1996.
- Tegan and Sara Quin - Indie rock/New Wave/Indie Pop musicians
- Doris Anderson - Former editor of Chatelaine magazine.
- Paul Brandt - Country music artist 
- Abdul Traya - Became famous in the grade 11 in 1999 when he registered the domain appleimac.com
- Tommy Chong - Comedian/Actor 
- Gagan Rehill - House & Pop Producer / DJ
- Jamie Fooks - Musician (Jane Vain and the Dark Matter)
- Breanne Graham - Won bronze medal for Canada in the Women's World Cup of Wrestling in 2003. 
- Eric Greif - Lawyer and entertainment personality
- Ralph Klein - left CHHS and later went to Viscount Bennett
- Sean Cheesman - International dance choreographer
- Ken Taylor - Former Canadian ambassador to Iran, who helped several Americans escape during the Iran hostage crisis.
- Charles Wilkinson - Dropped out in Grade Eleven, went on to become a film director and received his Masters Degree from the University of British Columbia in May, 2008.
- Peter Yan - Buckshot Show theme song co-writer. 
- 82 CHHS students are recognized by a memorial and simulated eternal flame in the school foyer as having given their lives in military service in the Second World War.
- ^ a b c "Cornerstones: Crescent Heights High School". Cornerstones (Calgary Public Library). http://calgarypubliclibrary.com/calgary/historic_tours/corner/chhs.htm. Retrieved 2000-05-28. [dead link]
- ^ a b c "Crescent Heights High School". SchoolNet GrassRoots Program (Industry Canada). http://www.schoolnet.ca/grassroots/e/resources/toolkit/Dibbon/page70.asp. Retrieved 2000-05-28.
- ^ Aylward, Mike (2003-11-13). "Women's Championship Cup of Wrestling Preview -". Lakehead University. http://athletics.lakeheadu.ca/?page=articleview&id=88. Retrieved 2000-05-28.
- ^ "Graham Claims Bronze Medal at Prestigious World University Wrestling Championships". Canadian Interuniversity Sport. 2006-06-08. http://www.universitysport.ca/e/story_detail.cfm?id=2650. Retrieved 2000-05-28.
- ^ Sean Cheeseman, ctv.ca
- ^ Charles Wilkinson, imdb.com
- ^ canadiansoldiers.com listing of CHHS Fatal Casualties in the Second World War
High Schools in Calgary Catholic PublicAlternative High School • Bowness High School • CBe-learn • Centennial High School • Central Memorial High School • Crescent Heights High School • Dr E P Scarlett High School • Ernest Manning High School • Forest Lawn High School • Henry Wise Wood Senior High School • Jack James High School • James Fowler High School • John G. Diefenbaker High School • Lester B. Pearson High School • Lord Beaverbrook High School • Lord Shaughnessy High School • Plains Indian Cultural School • Queen Elizabeth Junior and Senior High School • Sir William Van Horne High School • Sir Winston Churchill High School • Western Canada High School • William Aberhart High School Private OtherAlberta High School of Fine Arts • Beiseker Community School • Bert Church High School • Bow Valley High School • Chestermere High School • Cochrane High School • Foothills Composite High School • George McDougall High School • Holy Cross Collegiate • Holy Trinity Academy • Rocky View Learning Connections • St. Gabriel The Archangel • St Martin de Porres High School • St. Timothy High School • Springbank Community High School • Strathmore High School • W G Murdoch High School
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.