- Eve (name)
Infobox Given Name Revised
name = Eve
Albrecht Dürerpainting of the Biblical Eve. According to the Bible, Eve (or Eva) was the first woman created.
gender = Female
meaning = "Living"
origin = Hebrew
related names = Eva,
Evelyn, Ava, Evita, Evie
:"For specific uses of the name, see
Eve is an English
given namefor a female, derived from Eva, in turn originating with Hebrew חַוָּה (Chavah/Havah - "chavah" "to breathe" and "chayah" "to live"). The traditional meaning of Eve is 'living'.
The name has religious significance in the Judeo/Christian tradition, after the use of Eve / "living" as the female companion of the Biblical Adam / "man". Its use as a first name in England began in the
* Eva, popular in many European countries.
* Eve as an anglicized form of Gaelic Aoife "radiant, beautiful" in Scotland and Ireland.
Avaparticularly in Ireland, Canada and Australia
Evie, usually a familiar form, now also a given name.
People called Eve
This is a list of famous people with the first name Eve:
*Eve, American rapper
Eve Arden, American actress
Eve Beglarian, Armenian-American lesbian composer
Eve Plumb, American actress
Eve Pamela Grice, Queen of Fragrance
Eve Queler, American conductor
Ève Salvail, Canadian supermodel
Eve Torres, WWE Diva
Translations of Eve
*Hebrew: Chava/ Hava / Hawa (ancient pronunciation)
*Irish: Éabha, Aoibhe
Other instances of the name
Genesis, the first book of the Old Testament, Eve is the name of the first woman (see " Adam and Eve").
* Eve was a
tropical stormin 1969.
All About Eve(1950) is a film by Joseph Mankiewicz, in which the main character is called Eve.
Eve (magazine)is a British women's magazine.
* [http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=eve Behind The Name]
* [http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Eve Etymology Online]
* [http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ United States Social Security Database]
* [http://www.geocities.com/edgarbook/names/e/eve.html Eve Factfile]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.