- Matthias Lupri
Matthias Albrecht Lupri (born 29 October 1964 in Germany) is a jazz musician who plays the vibraphone.
Lupri grew up in Manhattan, Kansas and Alberta, Canada. Initially he played the drums, and played as a teenager in blues, rock and country music bands. In his early 20's he studied music at Mount Royal College, where he heard Gary Burton's recordings and became interested in jazz vibraphone music. Lupri practiced the instrument for the next five years while on the road with rock bands as a drummer. He then enrolled at the Berklee College of Music in Boston to study with Gary Burton himself. Since graduating Lupri's CDs have charted in radio's Top 40 GAVIN, CMJ and Chart Magazine Canada, and was heard on the TV show “ALIAS”. Lupri was also named as a rising artist on vibraphone in Down Beat critics poll for the 2nd time in 2005.
Performances/Recordings with Greg Osby, Chris Potter, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mark Turner, Donny McCaslin, Myron Walden, Greg Hutchinson, Antonio Sanchez, Reuben Rogers, Ian Froman, George Garzone, Jeff Ballard, Rick Margitza, Cuong Vu, Sebastiaan de Krom, Boris Wiedenfeld ...and at international jazz festivals such as the Montreal Jazz Festival, North Sea, Atlanta, Litchfield, Ottawa, Minneapolis, Vancouver, Providence, Toronto, Boston, Clearwater, Seattle, Jacksonville...
Recordings as Leader
- After Hours, Moonlamps and othe Ballads - Summit Records DCD 549 with Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mark Turner, Reuben Rogers and Greg Hutchinson, Cuong Vu,George Garzone, John Lockwood,Sebastiaan de Krom,Timo Verbole, Florian Feuser,Myron Walden, Nate Radley, Thompson Kneeland, Jordan Perlson and Donny McCaslin(2011)
- Metalix - Summit Records SMT 445 w/Myron Walden and Donny McCaslin , (2006)
- Transition Sonic - Summit Records DCD 398 with Cuong Vu(Pat Metheny), Mark Turner (Kurt Rosenwinkel), (2004)
- Same Time Twice - Summit Records DCD 337 with Kurt Rosenwinkel, Mark Turner, Reuben Rogers and Greg Hutchinson, (2002)
- Shadow of the Vibe - Chartmaker CMG 5060 with George Garzone, John Lockwood and Sebastiaan de Krom, (1999)
- Window Up Window Down - Chartmaker PDP1060 with Timo Verbole, Florian Feuser and Sebastiaan de Krom, (1998)
- ^ a b Prato, Greg. "Matthias Lupri Biography". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p293653/biography. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- ^ Kelman, John. "Matthias Lupri: Shadow of the Vibe". AllAboutJazz.com. http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=15367. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- Jazz vibraphonists
- Living people
- 1964 births
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.