- Mihály Dresch
Mihály Dresch at Fonó Buda Music House, 2009
Background information Born July 10, 1955 Origin , Budapest, Hungary Genres Jazz, folk Occupations Saxophonist Labels BMC Records
Mihály Dresch (born 1955 in Budapest) is a Hungarian saxophone player, and one of the most interesting jazz and folk musicians on the current Budapest scene. Specifically his merger of the American free-jazz tradition with elements of traditional Hungarian folk has led to inspired, unexpected pieces of modern music. (see also: Music of Hungary)
Dresch was studying to become an engineer when he turned to jazz. He was a member of the Károly Binder Quartet. In his first quartet as leader, founded in 1984, the legacy of John Coltrane's music can be recognized as one of the main sources of inspiration. The recent lineup (István Baló - drums, Ferenc Kovács - violin, Miklós Lukács - dulcimer, Mátyás Szandai - double bass) has existed since 1998. Over the years Dresch and his musicians have played and recorded with such artists as John Tchicai, Archie Shepp, Roscoe Mitchell, Chico Freeman, David Murray, Hamid Drake and Dewey Redman. The project with Archie Shepp led to the Hungarian Bebop recording of 2002, on which Shepp plays Dresch's original material. Dresch has performed at jazz festivals worldwide, including the London Jazz Festival.
In addition to his work as a leader, Dresch is a permanent member of György Szabados's band, the MAKUZ Ensemble. Szabados is generally considered to be the leading light of the free music movement in Hungary.
'Straight Music' ('Egyenes zene') was awarded 'Hungarian jazz album of the year, 2004' by Magazine Gramofon.
'Live Reed' (Élő nád') was awarded 'Jazz album of the Year 2006' by Magazine Gramofon.
Dresch was named 'Hungarian Jazz Musician of the Year' in 2005.
- 1985 Dresch Quartet: Sóhajkeserű (Bem rakpart, Budapest, 1985. május 3.) Hungaroton Jazz Studium No. 3 (MC)
- 1985 Kvartet Drech - Peti Jubilarni Internacionalni Susret Dzez Muzicara "Naissus Jazz '85" Magánkiadás LPD-20001244
- 1987 Dresch Mihály: Hazafelé Magánkiadás Jazz Studium No. 6. (MC)
- 1989 Dresch Quartet: Sóhajkeserű (10. Kölni Jazzhaus Fesztivál, 1988. április 2.) Hungaroton
- 1990 Dresch Mihály Quartet: Gondolatok a régiekről Adyton 002
- 1993 Dresch Dudás Mihály Quartet: Zeng a lélek Adyton 006
- 1995 Dresch Dudás Mihály Quartett: Folyondár Adyton 007
- 1996 Dresch Quartet: Túl a vizen Fonó Records FA-013-2
- 1997 Dresch Dudás Mihály: Hűs-ég Fonó Records FA-025-2 Own
- 1998 Dresch Dudás Mihály Quartet: Révészem, révészem... Fonó Records FA-037-2
- 2000 Dresch Quartet: Riding the Wind (Dresch Quartet: Mozdulatlan Utazás) November Music FA-084-2
- 2001 Mihály Dresch: Quiet As It Is (Dresch Mihály: Szép csendesen) BMC Records BMC CD 055
- 2002 Dresch Mihály Quartet/Archie Shepp: Hungarian Bebop BMC Records BMC CD 066
- 2004 Dresch Quartet: Straight Music (Dresch Quartet: Egyenes zene) BMC Records BMC CD 093
- 2006 Dresch Quartet: Live Reed (Dresch Quartet: Élő nád) X-Production 025 XP
- 2007 Dresch Mihály Quartet: Árgyélus BMC Records BMC CD 131
- 2009 Dresch Quartet: Ritka madár X-Production 037 XP
- 2010 Mihály Dresch, Lafayette Gilchrist, Mátyás Szanday, Hamid Drake: Sharing the Shed BMC Records BMC CD 174
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.