- Kathryn Janeway
Star Trek character|if=|Title = Kathryn Janeway
bgcolor = #ccccff
Caption = Kathryn Janeway aboard the USS "Voyager"
Size = 250px
May 20, 2332or 2336
Posting = USS "Al-Batani" science officer
USS "Billings" executive officer
USS "Voyager" commanding officer
Rank = Vice Admiral (current)
Kathryn Janeway, played by
Kate Mulgrew, is a main character of the television series"". Janeway is the first female to be the lead character in a Star Trekseries. She is the captain of the United Federation of Planetsstarship USS "Voyager" which, in the first episode of the series is propelled 70,000 light years to the Delta Quadrant where it would spend seven years. Upon "Voyager's" triumphant return she would be made a vice admiral.
The character was originally named "Elizabeth Janeway" after the famous writer
Elizabeth Janeway. However, after Geneviève Bujoldwas cast, Bujold requested the character to be renamed "Nicole Janeway". Bujold, who had mainly feature film experience and was not prepared for the schedules demanded by series television, dropped out on the second day of filming on the pilot episode "Caretaker". Kate Mulgrew, who had previously auditioned for the role, was brought in. She suggested that the name be changed to "Kathryn". [cite book|title=A Vision of the Future: Star Trek Voyager|author=Poe, Stephen Edward|id=ISBN 0-671-53481-5|publisher=Pocket Books|date=1998] Actresses Erin Grayand Chelsea Fieldalso auditioned for the role.cite web |url=http://www.totallykate.com/articles/cines595.html |title=Command Performance |accessdate=2007-06-10 |first=Michael|last=Logan|author= Michael Logan|year=1995|month=05]
Captain Janeway took command of the "Intrepid"-class USS "Voyager".cite book|author=Okuda, Michael & Denise|authorlink=Michael Okuda|title=
The Star Trek Encyclopedia|location= New York City|publisher= Pocket Books|year=1994,1997,1999|id=ISBN 0-671-03475-8] in 2371. Their first mission was to locate and capture a Maquis vessel last seen in the area of space known as the "Badlands". While there, the Maquis ship and "Voyager" were scanned by a coherent tetryon beam and are subsequently hurled into the Delta Quadrant, 75,000 light-years away, by a massive displacement wave. The Maquis ship is destroyed while fighting the Kazon, and although "Voyager" survives, there are numerous casualties. In order to protect an intelligent species (the Ocampa), Janeway destroys a device, the Caretaker Array, that has the potential to return her crew to Federation space, stranding her ship and crew seven decades' travel from home.
Her first major task is integrating the surviving Maquis and "Voyager" crews.
Chakotay, captain of the Maquis ship, succeeds the deceased Lieutenant Commander Cavit as her first officer. Janeway also grants convicted criminal, former Starfleet officer, and accomplished pilot Tom Parisa field commission, and makes him "Voyager" 's helmsman.
Janeway often acts as the moral center of the show. Her character does not exhibit the same equivocations about the prime directive that Picard or Sisko demonstrate. Most laud what they refer to as her ethical self-assurance, whereas some believe the character hypocritical and self-righteous.Janeway's other interactions with her crew include helping the ex-Borg
Seven of Ninereclaim her individuality and humanity and advocating for the Doctor's status as a sentient being.
"Voyager" has protracted contact with the
Q Continuumand the Borg. With the intervention of a future/alternate version of herself, Janeway leads her crew in using one of the Borg's transwarp conduits to return her ship to Federation space after traveling through the Delta Quadrant for seven years.
During a cameo appearance in the film "
Star Trek Nemesis" Captain Jean-Luc Picardreceives orders for the mission to Romulus from Vice Admiral Janeway, who had been promoted, like most of her crew, after "Voyager" 's return from the Delta Quadrant. [cite web|url=http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/episodes/MOV/detail/90.html|title=Summary of "Star Trek Nemesis"|publisher= Startrek.com|accessdate=2007-06-09]
Episodes in which Janeway's character is expanded or takes a key role:
* "Caretaker" - Janeway and her crew get stranded in the
* "The Cloud" - Janeway comes to terms with the long Journey ahead of her, and realises that not only are these people her crew, but also her friends.
* "Resolutions" - Janeway and
Chakotaymust remain quarantined on an alien planet after contracting an infectious disease.
* "" - Voyager is duplicated, and one Janeway travels to the other Janeway's ship to negotiate which ship should self-destruct.
* "" - Janeway joins
Tuvokin a mind meldand mentally visits the ship commanded by Captain Sulu.
* "" - After Kes falls into a coma after visiting an alien planet, Janeway must go through a sacred ritual to save her, which challenges her scientific approach to life.
* "Coda" - Janeway faces the possibility of death and leaving her crew.
* "The Q and the Grey" - The omnipotent Q asks Janeway to be his mate.
* "Scorpion" - Janeway makes a pact with the Borg and helps fight
* "Year of Hell" - Janeway fights a Krenim time ship which tries to erase Voyager from history. It also tells her birthdate May 20th when Chakotay gives her a pocketwatch on her birthday.
Dark Frontier" - Janeway infiltrates a Borg Sphere, but in the process loses Seven of Nine to the Borg Queen.
Unimatrix Zero" - Janeway infiltrates the Borg, and is assimilated into the Collective.
Concerning Flight" - After an alien steals some of Voyager's technology, Janeway and holodeckcharacter Leonardo Da Vinci(powered by the Doctor's mobile emitter) try to get back to Voyager.
The Killing Game" - In a holodeck recreation of World War II, Janeway leads a resistance against the Nazis and the Hirogen.
Bride of Chaotica!" - Janeway takes the role of holodeck character Arachnia, to help Captain Protonsave aliens from the evil Chaotica
* "" - Janeway's distant ancestor Shannon O'Donnell is instrumental in the creation of the Millennium Gate in the year 2000.
* "" - Janeway falls in love with holodeck character Michael Sullivan.
* "" - Janeway takes underperforming crewmen on a mission.
* "" - After Voyager is split into different timeframes, Janeway and Chakotay help to re-integrate the different times into one again.
* "Endgame" - A future Admiral Janeway travels back in time to help Captain Janeway and the Voyager crew return home to the
Alpha Quadrant16 years early. She is also a veteran of the war between the Federation and the Cardassian Union.
List of women warriors in folklore, literature, and popular culture
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.