- Orfeo toolbox
Orfeo Toolbox Developer(s) CNES Stable release 3.10.0 / June 30, 2011 Written in C++ Operating system Cross-platform Available in C++, Python, Java, IDL Type Library License CeCILL Website OTB homepage
Orfeo Toolbox (OTB) is a library for remote sensing image processing. The project had been initiated by the French space agency (CNES) in 2006 and is under heavy developments and the participation from the open source community is currently growing. The goal is to provide potential users of satellite images with all the tools necessary to use these images. The library is originally targeted at high resolution images acquired by the Orfeo constellation: Pleiades satellites and Cosmo-Skymed but also handles a wide variety of sensors.
- Image access: read/write access for most remote sensing image formats (using GDAL), meta-data access, visualization 
- Data access: vector data access (shapefile, kml), DEM model, lidar data 
- Filtering: blurring, denoising, enhancement for optical or radar data 
- Feature extraction: texture computations including Haralick, SFS, Pantex, Edge density, points of interest, alignments, lines, SIFT, SURF 
- Image segmentation: region growing, watershed, level sets 
- Classification: K-means, SVM, Markov random fields 
- Change detection 
- Orthorectification and map projections (using ossim) 
- Radiometric indices (vegetation, water, soil) 
- Object-based segmentation and filtering
- PCA computation
- Visualization: a flexible visualization system, customizable via plugins;
- and more.
The library is intensively tested on several platforms as Linux, Unix and Windows (Visual and Cygwin) OTB Dashboard. Most functions are also adapted to process huge images (>4GB) using streaming and to take advantages of multicore processor as often as possible.
Languages and interaction with other softwares
OTB is a C++ library, based on Insight toolkit (ITK), a medical image processing library.
A method to use OTB components within IDL/ENVI has been published.
Since late 2009 , some modules are developed as processing plugins for Quantum GIS. Modules for classification, segmentation, hill shading have provided. This effort has not been funded so far and relies only on volunteers.
Additionally to the library, several applications with GUI are distributed in the OTB-Applications package. These application enable interactive segmentation, orthorectification, classification, image registration, etc.
The OTB-Applications package makes available a set of simple software tools which were designed to demonstrates what can be done with OTB. Many users started using these applications for real processing tasks, so we tried to make them more generic, more robust and easy to use. It supports raster and vector data and integrates most of the already existing OTB applications. The architecture takes advantage of the streaming and multi-threading capabilities of the OTB pipeline. It also uses cool features as processing on demand and automagic file format I/O. The application is called Monteverdi, since this is the name of the Orfeo composer.This is also in memory of the great (and once open source) Khoros/Cantata software.
OTB is distributed under a free software license CeCILL (similar and compatible with GPL).
The development started in January 2006  with the first release in July 2006 . Since that time, 12 new releases were published (average of 3 per year). The development version is publicly accessible .
Version Codename Release date Comments 1.0.0 June 30, 2006 1.2.0 February, 2007 1.4.0 June, 2007 1.6.0 October, 2007 2.0.0 December, 2007 2.2.0 June, 2008 2.4.0 July, 2008 2.6.0 Halloween November, 2008 2.8.0 恭喜发财 (Gong Xi Fa Cai) January, 2009 3.0.0 Manhã de Carnaval May, 2009 3.2.0 62°38'35" S 60°14'31" W January, 2010 3.4.0 Perl A Rebours July, 2010 3.6.0 California Dreamin' October 07, 2010 3.8.0 Pack Ice December 17, 2010 3.10.0 Feliç aniversari June 30, 2011
As of October 2009, OTB has been presented in major conferences across the five continents 
- IGARSS 2008 in Boston
- ISPRS 2008 in Beijing
- International Summer School on VHR Remote Sensing 2008 in Grenoble
- ESA-EUSC 2008 in Frascati
- EUSC Software dasy 2009 in Madrid
- AUF 2009 in Alger
- IGARSS 2009 in Cape Town for the invited session Open Source Initiatives for Remote Sensing - Orfeo Toolbox 
- FOSS4G 2009 in Sydney 
- Capacity building 2009 in Antananarivo
- Insight Toolkit 2010 Workshop in Washington as a keynote session 
- IGARSS 2010 in Honolulu for a tutorial 
- FOSS4G 2010 in Barcelona 
Many of those presentations are publicly available 
According to statistics on ohloh , there is a total of 21 contributors and almost 6 million lines of code (this include many libraries upon which OTB is built).
OTB in also use for the development of the operational ground segment for the Venus (Vegetation & Environment new micro satellite) mission .
- ^ E. Christophe and J. Inglada "Open Source Remote Sensing: Increasing the Usability of Cutting-Edge Algorithms" in IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Newletter, issue 150, March 2009, pp. 9-15.
- ^ Orfeo Toolbox Software Guide, Updated for OTB 3.2, 2010
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech6.html#x26-740006
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech7.html#x29-880007
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech8.html#x30-930008
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech14.html#x41-20100014
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech16.html#x43-23700016
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech17.html#x44-24800017
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech19.html#x46-28100019
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech11.html
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech12.html#x38-19200012.1
- ^ OTB Mad Lab (OTB in python example): http://blog.orfeo-toolbox.org/uncategorized/otb-mad-lab
- ^ Using OTB from Matlab: http://groups.google.com/group/otb-users/browse_thread/thread/8ea7ba2e4034a0f1#
- ^ OTB Qgis plugins: http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB-Qgis-plugins
- ^ http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB/rev/aba0c56ceeda
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/SoftwareGuide/SoftwareGuidech27.html#x56-39800027.9.1
- ^ http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org
- ^ http://blog.orfeo-toolbox.org/news/otb-world-tour
- ^ http://www.igarss09.org/InvitedSessions.asp
- ^ http://2009.foss4g.org/presentations/#presentation_26
- ^ http://visual.nlm.nih.gov/itk/itk2010/agenda.html
- ^ http://www.igarss2010.org/Tutorial_HD2.asp
- ^ http://2010.foss4g.org/presentations_show.php?id=3655
- ^ a b http://2010.foss4g.org/presentations_show.php?id=3658
- ^ http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/otb/success-stories/
- ^ http://www.ohloh.net/p/otb
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.