- Henry Morgan-Clifford
Henry Morgan-Clifford (1806 – 12 Feb 1884) was a British Liberal Party politician.
He was elected unopposed at the 1847 general election as one of the two Member of Parliament (MPs) for the city of Hereford. He was re-elected in three further general elections (unopposed in 1857 and 1859), but was defeated at the 1865 general election.
At the 1865 general election he stood in the two-seat Monmouthshire county constituency, a county where owned he a large house called Llantilio Court, at Llantilio Crossenny, near Abergavenny, having inherited it in 1847 from a cousin. However, Monmouthshire had been a solidly Conservative seat since 1841, and in the constituency's first contested election since the Reform Act 1832, Morgan-Clifford came a poor third behind the two Conservative candidates.
Morgan-Clifford's heir and only surviving child was his daughter Marion, who married James Fitzwalter Butler (1839–1899), the 15th and 25th Baron Dunboyne. In 1860 they changed their surname by royal license to Clifford-Butler.
- Reminiscences of His Life by Colonel Morgan-clifford, 1806-1863. ISBN 978-0559551697
- ^ Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "H" (part 2)
- ^ a b c Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 150. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- ^ a b Craig, op. cit., page 528
- ^ "Sir Henry Mather-Jackson Collection of Llantilio-Crossenny Deeds". National Library of Wales. Archives Wales. http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=1&coll_id=245&expand=. Retrieved 28 July 2010.
- ^ London Gazette: no. 22450. p. 4409. 23 November 1860. Retrieved 28 July 2010.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Morgan-Clifford
- The House of Commons Library has a Photograph of Colonel Henry Morgan-Clifford (not viewable on-line)
Parliament of the United Kingdom Preceded by
Sir Robert Price, Bt
Member of Parliament for Hereford
1847 – 1865
With: Sir Robert Price, Bt to 1857
George Clive from 1857
- 1806 births
- 1884 deaths
- Liberal Party (UK) MPs
- Members of the United Kingdom Parliament for English constituencies
- UK MPs 1847–1852
- UK MPs 1852–1857
- UK MPs 1857–1859
- UK MPs 1859–1865
- People from Abergavenny
- Liberal MP (UK) stubs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.