- Michael L. Brodman
Michael L. Brodman, M.D. Education Rutgers University, University of South Carolina Known for urogynecology Profession gynecologist Institutions Mount Sinai Medical Center
Michael L. Brodman, M.D. is an American gynecologist and obstetrician and currently the Ellen and Howard C. Katz Chairman’s Chair and Professor of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Science at The Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. He is recognized internationally as a pioneer in the field of urogynecology.
Brodman is the Board Examiner for American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and has been a member of both the Council on Resident Education in OB/GYN (CREOG) and the Association of Professors in OB/GYN (APGO). He has twice received the APGO/CREOG Award for Teaching Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Brodman has been the Principal or co-investigator on 19 grants and has published multiple book chapters and abstracts. He appeared in the documentary film, The Business of Being Born, in 2008.
Brodman received his BS from Rutgers College of Engineering in New Brunswick, New Jersey in 1975. He earned his MS from the University of South Carolina's College of Engineering in 1977, and his M.D. from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1982. Post-doctoral training included a residency and a fellowship in pelvic surgery at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
Brodman is involved in several global health initiatives and serves on the board of the International Organization for Women and Development, an organization that performs fistula repair surgery in Niger.
Honors and awards
- 1974 Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society
- 1974 Pi Mu Epsilon, National Electrical Engineering Honor Society
- 1975 Rutgers College of Engineering Slade Scholar Award for Independent Research
- 1975 Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- 1977 Eta Kappa Nu, National Mathematics Honor Society
- 1986 Administrative Chief Resident Award, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Science, The Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
- 1988 Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Science, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 1992 Association of Professors in Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) for Outstanding Achievement in the Area of Resident Teaching and Education
- 1993 Best Poster Presentation, “Operating room personnel morbidity from CO2 laser use during preceptored surgery”, M. Brodman et al. The Council for Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG)
- 1993 Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Science, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 2002 Teacher of the Year Award, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Science, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 2005 Physician of the Year Award, Mount Sinai Department of Nursing
- 2007 Alpha Omega Alpha, Honor Medical Society
Books and chapters
- Brodman M, Thacker J, Kranz R: Straight Talk About Sexually Transmitted Diseases, NY, Bascom Communications, 1993. ISBN 0816028648
- Brodman M, Friedman F: Care of the critically ill obstetric patient, in Cherry S, Merkatz I (eds): Medical, Surgical and Gynecologic Complications of Pregnancy, Baltimore, MD, Williams and Wilkins, 1991, pp 1044 1054 (Chapter 64). ISSN 0342-4642
- Flisser AJ, Brodman ML, and Nezhat F. In Prevention and Management of Laparoendoscopic Complications. Kavic MS and Levinson CJ, eds. Washington: Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, 2004
- Galende E, Karakikes I, Edelmann L, Desnick RJ, Kerenyi T, Khoueiry G, Lafferty J, McGinn JT, Brodman M, Fuster V, Hajjar RJ, Polgar K. Amniotic Fluid Cells Are More Efficiently Reprogrammed to Pluripotency Than Adult Cells. Cloning Stem Cells. 2009 Dec 17. PMID 20017623.
- Copperman KB, Schertz JC, Witkin G, Sandler B, Brodman M, Copperman AB. Patients' return to referring physicians and its relation to their infertility duration. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2007 Sep;16(7):1012-6. PMID 17903078.
- Vardy MD, Brodman M, Olivera CK, Zhou HS, Flisser AJ, Bercik RS. Anterior intravaginal slingplasty tunneller device for stress incontinence and posterior intravaginal slingplasty for apical vault prolapse: a 2-year prospective multicenter study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Jul;197(1):104.e1-8. PMID 17618778.
- Irwin KL, Moorman AC, O'Sullivan MJ, Sperling R, Koestler ME, Soto I, Rice R, Brodman M, Yasin S, Droese A, Zhang D, Schwartz DA, Byers RH. Influence of human immunodeficiency virus infection on pelvic inflammatory disease. Obstet Gynecol. 2000 Apr;95(4):525-34. PMID 10725484.
- Kalir T, Goldstein M, Dottino P, Brodman M, Gordon R, Deligdisch L, Wu H, Gil J. Morphometric and electron-microscopic analyses of the effects of gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists on uterine leiomyomas. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998 May;122(5):442-6. PMID 9593346.
- Irwin KL, Rice RJ, Sperling RS, O'Sullivan MJ, Brodman M. Potential for bias in studies of the influence of human immunodeficiency virus infection on the recognition, incidence, clinical course, and microbiology of pelvic inflammatory disease. Obstet Gynecol. 1994 Sep;84(3):463-9. PMID 8058250.
- Thomas AG, Dottino P, Brodman M, Friedman F Jr. Laparoscopic Pomeroy tubal ligation in a residency training program. J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc. 1994 Aug;1(4 Pt 1):321-4. PMID 9138872.
- Irwin KL, Rice RJ, O'Sullivan MJ, Sperling R, Brodman M. Pelvic inflammatory disease in human immunodeficiency virus-infected women. Obstet Gynecol. 1994 Mar;83(3):480-2. PMID 8127550.
- Brodman M, Port M, Friedman F Jr, Sperling R, Dottino P, Thomas AG. Operating room personnel morbidity from carbon dioxide laser use during preceptored surgery. Obstet Gynecol. 1993 Apr;81(4):607-9. PMID 8459977.
- Brodman M, Dottino P, Friedman F Jr, Heller D, Bleiweiss I, Sperling R. Human papillomavirus-associated lesions of the vagina and cervix. Treatment with a laser and topical 5-fluorouracil. J Reprod Med. 1992 May;37(5):453-6. PMID 1324311.
- Navot D, Fox JH, Williams M, Brodman M, Friedman F Jr, Cohen CJ. The concept of uterine preservation with ovarian malignancies. Obstet Gynecol. 1991 Sep;78(3 Pt 2):566-8. PMID 1870826.
- Sperling RS, Friedman F Jr, Joyner M, Brodman M, Dottino P. Seroprevalence of human immunodeficiency virus in women admitted to the hospital with pelvic inflammatory disease. J Reprod Med. 1991 Feb;36(2):122-4. PMID 2010894.
- Brodman M, Friedman F Jr, Dottino P, Janus C, Plaxe S, Cohen C. A comparative study of computerized tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and clinical staging for the detection of early cervix cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 1990 Mar;36(3):409-12. PMID 2318454.
- Janus CL, Mendelson DS, Moore S, Gendal ES, Dottino P, Brodman M. Staging of cervical carcinoma: accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography. Clin Imaging. 1989 Jun;13(2):114-6. PMID 2766072.
- Janus C, White M, Dottino P, Brodman M, Goodman H. Uterine leiomyosarcoma—magnetic resonance imaging. Gynecol Oncol. 1989 Jan;32(1):79-81. PMID 2909452.
- ^ a b "The Mount Sinai Medical Center - Doctor profile". http://mountsinai.org/profiles/michael-brodman#pot.
- ^ "Postpartum depression may be next battle for teen moms - Wellsphere". http://www.wellsphere.com/pregnancy-fertility-article/postpartum-depression-may-be-next-battle-for-teen-moms/590472.
- ^ "American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists". http://www.acog.org/acog_districts/dist_notice.cfm?recno=22&bulletin=2456.
- ^ Vigil, Delfin (11 October 2010). "San Francisco Chronicle". The San Francisco Chronicle. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/12/LVSOUBD5M.DTL.
- ^ "International Organization for Women and Development, Inc.". http://www.iowd.org/mission_0404.htm.
- American medical academics
- Living people
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine faculty
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine alumni
- Rutgers University alumni
- University of South Carolina alumni
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.