- Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports
First UK edition cover of the book Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports.
Author James Patterson Cover artist Lesley Robson-Foster, James Woodson, Peter Ginter Country United States Language English Genre Young Adult Fiction Publisher Headline
Preceded by Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever Followed by Maximum Ride: The Final Warning
Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports is the third book in the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. It was released in the UK and the US on May 29, 2007. The series is set in the near future, and centers around the 'flock', a group of human-avian hybrids on the run from the scientists who created them.
In the third book of the series Maximum Ride, Max is faced with the task of saving the world from the Itex corporation and the evil Director, who wants to terminate all recombinant DNA life-forms and cut the population of the earth by half. The Erasers were some of the first to be destroyed and have been replaced by the new threat: Flyboys (robotic Erasers that can fly).Fang is trying to persuade her to give up running and instead just live an easy life. Fang and Max go to doctor Martinez's house where Max gets her chip removed. They get stuck with the rest at the school and Jeb declares this has all been a dream. Later on they escape with the help of Ari. Further issues arise when Max invites Ari—the single remaining Eraser—to join the group, leaving Fang and half of the flock to split off in protest, with Max the leader of one group, and Fang the leader of the second. And in the midst of all this, Max eventually finds out who her real parents are; Jeb and the ever so kind Dr. Martinez. But she is stuck at a fort, that looks like a castle, fighting a new experiment, a boy named OMEGA. Max beats off Omega (a young boy that is seemingly perfect in his looks and skills).
- Maximum (Max) Ride-The main character and leader of the Flock. She is also the first-person narrator of the book. She acts as a mother figure and leader to the rest of the Flock. She has the ability to fly at extremely fast speeds, once achieving over 200 miles per hour. She also has a Voice in her head that gives her various advice, as well as puzzling statements that give her headaches.
- Fang-Co-captain of the Flock. He is brooding, and more cold and calculating than Max. He wears all black. Has the ability to blend into his surroundings by remaining perfectly still. He and Max love each other, but don't admit it.
- Iggy-The Flock's blind weapons expert and Gazzy's best friend. He wasn't born blind, but his eyes were destroyed in an experiment while he was at the lab.
- Nudge-Her real name is Monique. She is very talkative.She has the ability to hack into computers.
- Gazzy (the Gasman)-He is called the Gasman due to his unstable digestive system. Angel is his younger blood-related sister, and they are the only two blood related siblings in the Flock. He also helps Iggy with building weapons.
- Angel-The youngest member of the Flock. She is the Gasman's younger sister. She can breathe under water. She has the ability to read minds, can make people do or say things she wants and she can also talk to fish, including sharks.
- Total-He is a talking dog, and is the only one in the flock without wings
- Jeb-Max's biologic father. He freed them from School, then returns to work for the School. He is also the father of Ari. He sees himself as someone the flock can trust, even though Max doesn't trust him.
- Ari- Jeb's seven year old son who is now an eraser after Jeb abandoned him to save the Flock when Ari was just three.
The book received fairly Many people believe this is a grand book. It is especially famous in Botswana. [says who?]
Maximum Ride Novels Other Works by James Patterson NovelsThe Thomas Berryman Number (1976) · Season of the Machete (1977) · Virgin (1980) · The Midnight Club (1988) · Hide & Seek (1996) · Miracle on the 17th Green (1996, w/ Peter De Jonge) · See How They Run (1997) · When the Wind Blows (1998) · Black Friday (2000) · Cradle and All (2000) · Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas (2001) · The Beach House (2002, w/ Peter De Jonge) · The Jester (2003, w/ Andrew Gross) · The Lake House (2003) · Sam's Letters to Jennifer (2004) · Honeymoon (2005, w/ Howard Roughan) · Lifeguard (2005, w/ Andrew Gross) · Beach Road (2006, w/ Peter De Jonge) · Judge and Jury (2006, w/ Andrew Gross) · The Quickie (2007, w/ Michael Ledwidge) · You've Been Warned (2007, w/ Howard Roughan) · Sundays at Tiffany's (2008, w/ Gabrielle Charbonnet) · Sail (2008, w/ Howard Roughan) · Swimsuit (2009, w/ Maxine Paetro) · The Postcard Killers (2010, w/ Liza Marklund) · Private (2010, w/ Maxine Paetro) · Don't Blink (2010, w/ Howard Roughan) · Toys (2011, w/ Neal McMahon) · Now You See Her (2011, w/ Michael Ledwidge) · Kill Me, If You Can (2011, w/ Marshall Karp) · The Christmas Wedding (2011, w/ Richard DiLallo) · Guilty Wives (2012, w/ David Ellis) Alex Cross seriesAlong Came a Spider (1993) · Kiss the Girls (1995) · Jack & Jill (1996) · Cat and Mouse (1997) · Pop Goes the Weasel (1999) · Roses Are Red (2000) · Violets Are Blue (2001) · Four Blind Mice (2002) · The Big Bad Wolf (2003) · London Bridges (2004) · Mary, Mary (2005) · Cross (2006) · Double Cross (2007) · Cross Country (2008) · Alex Cross's Trial (2009, w/ Richard DiLallo) · I, Alex Cross (2009) · Cross Fire (2010) · Kill Alex Cross (2011) Daniel X series Maximum Ride series Michael Bennett series Witch and Wizard seriesWitch and Wizard (2009, w/ Gabrielle Charbonnet) · Witch and Wizard: The Gift (2010, w/ Ned Rust) · Witch and Wizard: The Fire (2011, w/ Jill Dembowski) Women's Murder Club series1st to Die (2001) · 2nd Chance (2002, w/ Andrew Gross) · 3rd Degree (2004, w/ Andrew Gross) · 4th of July (2005, w/ Maxine Paetro) · The 5th Horseman (2006, w/ Maxine Paetro) · The 6th Target (2007, w/ Maxine Paetro) · 7th Heaven (2008, w/ Maxine Paetro) · 8th Confession (2009, w/ Maxine Paetro) · The 9th Judgment (2010, w/ Maxine Paetro) · 10th Anniversary (2011, w/ Maxine Paetro) · 11th Hour (2012) Non-fictionAgainst Medical Advice: A True Story (2008, w/ Hal Friedman) · The Murder of King Tut (2009, w/ Martin Dugard)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.