- Marcelo Martinez-Ferro
Dr. Marcelo Martinez-Ferro
Born Buenos Aires, Argentina Education Buenos Aires University School of Medicine Years active 25 Known for Developement of a revolutionary non-surgical treatment for Pectus Carinatum (Dynamic Compression System) Profession Pediatric Surgeon Institutions
- Ricardo Gutierrez Children´s Hospital,
- Garrahan National Children´s Hospital,
- CEMIC University Hospital,
- Fundacion Hospitalaria Children´s Hospital
Specialism Pediatric Minimally Invasive Surgery, Chest Wall Deformities, Neonatal Surgery Research
- Chest Wall Deformities,
- Pediatric Minimally Invasive Surgery,
- Poland's Syndrome,
- Esophageal atresia,
- Hepatobiliary disorders
- Best Pediatric Surgery presentation, 2º Congress of the Argentine Society of Laparoscopic Surgery (March 1999),
- Best Pediatric Surgery presentation, 3º Congress of the Argentine Society of Laparoscopic Surgery (March 2001),
- Best Scientific presentation, 73rd Argentine Congress of Surgery,
- Special acknowledgment of the Senate (National Congress) for the book "Surgical Neonatology"
- National Medical Academy Award "Marcelino Herrera Vega" Best paper in Pediatric Surgery "Laparoscopic Treatment of Biliary Atresia"
Marcelo Martinez-Ferro was born in Buenos Aires and graduated from the Buenos Aires University School of Medicine in 1983. He completed his residency in pediatric surgery at the Ricardo Gutierrez Children´s Hospital and in 1988, joined the staff of Garrahan national Children`s Hospital. During his 15-year tenure at the hospital he dedicated himself to drastically improving the survival rate of newborn surgical patients whose mortality rate was historically very high in Argentina. In 1992 he completed a fellowship at the Fetal Treatment Center of the UCSF where he confirmed his interest in fetal treatment and video surgery.
Dr. Ferro has very successfully devoted his career to advancing the surgical care of children world-wide. First and foremost, Dr. Ferro leaded Argentina's first initiatives in pediatric minimal access surgery (laparoscopy, thoracoscopy). This involved developing techniques, tools and multidisciplinary teams for pediatric surgical procedures that were not previously practiced in Buenos Aires. In the early 90's, Dr. Ferro and his team performed the first pediatric minimal access surgery procedure in Argentina, and has since performed over 2500 such procedures. Many of the novel minimal access techniques and procedures performed world-wide are a result of Dr. Ferro's innovative approaches. These include innovations in the treatment of chest wall deformities (Pectus excavatum/Carinatum and Poland's syndrome), esophageal atresia, hepatobiliary disorders, and subcutaneous endoscopy for muscle transfer.
In 2001 Dr. Martinez-Ferro along with the CEMIC Surgical and Obstetrical Team performed the first fetal surgery in a patient with myelomeningocele in Argentina.
Throughout his career, Dr. Martinez-Ferro has maintained an active and busy academic and clinical practice. He is also an active member of many prominent surgical organizations. He has published nearly 100 articles on a multitude of pediatric surgery topics and remains a highly-requested lecturer and guest speaker for numerous surgical and medical societies around the world.
Dr. Martínez-Ferro is currently the professor of surgery and pediatrics, Chief Division of Pediatric Surgery, at the Fundacion Hospitalaria Children´s Hospital in Buenos Aires.
Memberships and Positions
- Active member, Asociación Argentina de Cirugía Infantil (ACACI).
- Scientific Secretary, Sociedad Argentina de Cirugía Infantil (Nov 1997 - Nov 1999).
- Founding Member, Asociación Argentina de Perinatología(ASAPER).
- Member, Sociedad Argentina de Ultrasonografía en Medicina y Biología.
- Active Member, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG).
- Chairman of the Membership Committee of the International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG) (2002–2005).
- Co-Chairman Program Committee, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG) (May 2003).
- Secretary of the Executive Committee, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG) (2004–2007).
- Member of the Program Committee, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG) (2005–2006).
- Program Chairman of the 16th Annual Congress for Endosurgery in Children (IPEG) (Sep 2007).
- Honorary Member, Asociación Peruana de Endocirugía Pediátrica (ASPEP) (2009-Current).
- President, International Pediatric Endosurgery Group (IPEG) (2009–2010).
Marcelo Martinez-Ferro has been recognized internationally as a leader in the field of pediatric surgery. He has more than 150 scientific presentations at national and international conferences and over 90 publications in indexed journals. He has given over 200 lectures around the world and is regularly invited to perform surgeries abroad. He is a member of the most prestigious specialty societies and has been elected as a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Pediatric Surgery, the agency's most prestigious publication for the specialty. He is also part of the editorial board of other journals indexed in Index Medicus as "Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy" and the "Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques ".
He is the recent past-president of the prestigious International Pediatric Endosurgery Group.
He is the author of the book "Neonatologia Quirurgica" (Surgical Neonatology), published for the first time in 2005, unique in its kind in the Spanish language, of which thousands of copies have been distributed throughout Latin America
Contributions in other works
He has also contributed with chapters in over 20 different books, including:
Cuidados Especiales del Feto y el Recién Nacido (2da edición) Rogido M, Sola A. CHAPTER: "El Recién Nacido con Necesidades Quirúrgicas" Editorial: Científica Interamericana, Buenos Aires, Argentina. 16; 1499-1566. 2001.
Pediatric Laparoscopy Lobe TE. CHAPTER: "Video-Assited Repair of Diaphragmatic Defects" Editorial: Landes Bioscience, Georgetown. U.S.A. 25; 223-243. 2003
Bases de Neumonología Pediátrica Quiñones E, Ugazzi M, Donoso F, Endara S. CHAPTER: "Toracoscopía en el Recién Nacido" Editorial: Noción. Quito, Ecuador. 56; 489-500. 2006
Atlas of Pediatric Lapaoroscopic and Thoracoscopy George W. Holcomb III, Keith E. Georgeson, Steven S. Rothenberg. CHAPTER: "Laparoscopic Portoenterostomy (Kasai Operation)" Editorial: Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, USA. 26; 156-163.2008
Atlas of Pediatric Lapaoroscopic and Thoracoscopy George W. Holcomb III, Keith E. Georgeson, Steven S. Rothenberg. CHAPTER: "Thoracoscopic Repair Esophageal Atresia without Tracheoesophageal Fistula" Editorial: Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, USA. 49; 291-304.2008
Endoscopic Surgery in Infants and Children Klaas (N) M.A. Bax, Keith E. Georgeson, Steven S. Rothenberg, Jean-Stéphane Valla, CK Yeung. CHAPTER: "Esophagheal Atresia Without Fistula" Editorial: Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. Germany. 28; 207-219.2008
Essentials of Pediatric Endoscopic Surgery A.K.Saxena, M.E.Hölwarth. CHAPTER: "Portoenterostomy (Kasai Procedure)" Editorial: Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. Germany. 46; 323-330.2009
Videochirugia Pediatrica. Ciro Esposito, Celeste Hollands, Mario Lima, Alessandro Settimi, Jean Stephane Valla (2010) CHAPTER: "Atresia delle vie Biliari" Editoriasl: Springer-Verlag-Italia. 36; 295-309. 2010.
- ^ "Hospital de Niños Dr. Ricardo Gutiérrez-Buenos Aires-Argentina". Guti.gov.ar. http://www.guti.gov.ar. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Hospital de Pediatría Garrahan.. "Hospital de Pediatría Garrahan". Garrahan.gov.ar. http://www.garrahan.gov.ar/. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Our Fellows | UCSF Fetal Treatment Center". Fetus.ucsfmedicalcenter.org. 2009-11-24. http://fetus.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/our_team/fellows.asp. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Página/12". Pagina12.com.ar. http://www.pagina12.com.ar/2001/01-07/01-07-23/pag15.htm. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Diario La Nacion". lanacion.com.ar. 2001-07-26. http://www.lanacion.com.ar/322793-operaron-a-un-bebe-dentro-del-utero. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Fundación Hospitalaria. "Novedades del Hospital Privado de Niños". Novedadeshpn.blogspot.com. http://www.novedadeshpn.blogspot.com/. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy". http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=JournalEditorial&ProduktNr=224239. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques". http://www.liebertpub.com/products/eboard.aspx?pid=36. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "International Pediatric Endosurgery Group". IPEG. http://www.ipeg.org. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ "Neonatologia Quirurgica". http://www.libinter.com/libro.php?libro_id=969. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Argentine physicians
- Living people
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.