- Dimensions & Extensions
Dimensions & Extensions Studio album by Sam Rivers Released 1986 Recorded March 17, 1967 Genre Jazz Length 35:28 Label Blue Note Producer Alfred Lion Sam Rivers chronology A New Conception
Dimensions & Extensions
Dimensions & Extensions is an album by American saxophonist Sam Rivers recorded in 1967 but not released on the Blue Note label until 1986. The album was originally scheduled for issue in 1967 but was held back from release until 1975 when the tracks appeared as part of the Double LP set Involution which combined them with tracks recorded under Andrew Hill's leadership that would eventually see release as Change.
The Allmusic review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine awarded the album 5 stars and stated "With music as risky at this, it's forgivable that it occasionally meanders (especially on the slower numbers) but, overall, Dimensions and Extensions offers more proof that Sam Rivers was one of the early giants of the avant-garde".
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
- All compositions by Sam Rivers
- "Precis" - 5:21
- "Paean" - 5:25
- "Effusive Melange" - 5:49
- "Involution" - 7:14
- "Afflatus" - 6:28
- "Helix" - 5:30
- Recorded at Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on March 17, 1967
- Sam Rivers - tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute
- Donald Byrd - trumpet (tracks 1-3 & 6)
- Julian Priester - trombone (tracks 1-3 & 6)
- James Spaulding - alto saxophone, flute (tracks 1-4 & 6)
- Cecil McBee - bass
- Steve Ellington - drums
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.