- Delegated Legislation Committees
Delegated Legislation Committees are general committees of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom that allow for debate of statutory instruments and Church Measures that have been laid before the House of Commons. With respect to statutory instruments, it differs from the Joint Committee on Statutory Instruments and Commons Select Committee on Statutory Instruments in that those committees only scrutinise certain technical aspects of them. By contrast, Delegated Legislation Committees provide a forum for discussing the merits of proposed instruments. They do not approve or reject delegated legislation, but merely debate it on a motion "That this committee has considered" the legislation. A statutory instrument or measure debated in a Delegated Legislation Committee is not later debated on the House floor; rather, a vote is taken without debate if one is sought.
Committees have between 16 and 50 (currently usually 18) members; as with other general committees, the Speaker appoints the chair, and the Committee of Selection appoints the other members. Any MP may participate in proceedings of a Delegated Legislation Committee, allowing all MPs an opportunity to debate pieces of delegated legislation, but only members of the committee may vote or are counted toward the quorum. Legislation is distributed among the committees by the Speaker, but a fresh committee is nominated for each instrument (or for a small group of related instruments).
- S.O. 118, Standing Orders of the House of Commons (Public Business)
- House of Commons Factsheet: Statutory Instruments
Current British parliamentary committees Commons
- Departmental: Business, Innovation and Skills · Communities and Local Government · Culture, Media and Sport · Defence · Education · Energy and Climate Change · Environment, Food and Rural Affairs · Foreign Affairs · Health · Home Affairs · International Development · Justice · Northern Ireland Affairs · Political and Constitutional Reform · Science and Technology · Scottish Affairs · Transport · Treasury · Welsh Affairs · Work and Pensions
- Topical: Arms Export Controls · Environmental Audit · European Scrutiny · Public Accounts · Public Administration · Regulatory Reform · Statutory Instruments
- General: Panel of Chairs · Public bill committee · Delegated Legislation Committees · European Committees · Northern Ireland Grand Committee · Regional Affairs Committee · Scottish Grand Committee · Welsh Grand Committee
- Internal: Administration · Finance and Services · Backbench Business · Liaison · Members' Expenses · Procedure · Selection · Standards and Privileges · Works of Art
- Topical: Communications · Constitution · Delegated Powers and Regulatory Reform · Economic Affairs · European Union · Merits of Statutory Instruments · Science and Technology
- Private business: Hybrid Instruments · Standing Orders
- Internal: House · Liaison Committee · Privileges and Conduct · Procedure · Selection
- Domestic: Administration and Works · Information · Refreshment · Works of Art
- Commons: House of Commons Commission (Administration Estimate Audit · Members Estimate · Members Estimate Audit) · Public Accounts Commission · Speaker's Committee on the Electoral Commission · Speaker's Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
- Joint: Ecclesiastical Committee · Intelligence and Security
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.