- Dead in the Water (film)
Dead In The Water
Directed by Gustavo Lipsztein Produced by Evan Astrowsky
Written by Gustavo Lipsztein Starring Henry Thomas
Music by Heitor Pereira Editing by Kurt Bullinger
Studio E.H. Filmes
Nuts and Lloyd Films
Distributed by Das Werk
Lions Gate Films
Promark Entertainment Group
Studio Home Entertainment
Release date(s) February 12, 2002 Running time 90 minutes Country United States Language English
Dead In The Water (Brazilian: O mar por testemunha) is a 2002 American crime /thriller feature film written, directed by Gustavo Lipsztein.
Gloria (Dominique Swain) is the spoiled daughter of a Brazilian businessman who is bankrupt. Her father asks her to take take Marcos (Sebastian DeVicente), the son of her father's business partner, out for a swim in the ocean. She does so, using her father's yacht and accompanied by her boyfriend Danny (Scott Bairstow) and their buddy Jeffrey (Henry Thomas). Gloria is caught kissing Marcos. Danny is jealous and throws Marcos in the water with a life preserver. To scare Marcos, he then drives the boat to a distant island. When they return to where they left him, Marcos has disappeared. Afraid of the consequences of his possible drowning, they discuss alibis and try to figure a way out of their predicament, first destroying their relationships and then themselves.
- Henry Thomas as Jeff
- Dominique Swain as Gloria
- Scott Bairstow as Danny
- Sebastian DeVicente as Marcos
- José Wilker as Father
- Renata Fronzi as Housekeeper
- Lavínia Vlasak as Brazilian Beauty
The film is a remake of the 1962 Roman Polanski film Nóz w wodzie, and like the Polanski original, was shot on locations in Brazil. Casting was announced in 2000.
David Nusair wrote that the film was "fairly predictable, but mostly entertaining," and offered that "the performances are fine". Kevin LaForest felt that the film had the potential to be an enjoyable thriller, but that it was lacking in depth and originality, concluding that it was "too stiff and self-important." Christopher Null of AMC Filmcritic felt that was well-made and reasonably well-acted, but that its staging being confined to the yacht for 90 minutes became a little tiresome, summarizing "Not a bad time, but not a great movie. It hits and misses, but at least it floats." Buzz McClain of All Movie Guide wrote that the director's nontraditional style might not work for everyone, apecially in consideration of Dominique Swain's performance, but added that there was no question that the film's conclusion will generate conversation and introspection for those who understand it.
Awards and nominations
The film won "Best Cinematography", "Best Director", and was received the Grand Jury Prize for "Best Feature Film" at the 2002 New York International Independent Film and Video Festival.
- ^ a b "Dead In the Water". All Movie Guide. http://allmovie.com/work/dead-in-the-water-258593/review. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ "Dead In The Water" (in German). new-video.de. http://www.new-video.de/film-dead-in-the-water/. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ "Dead in the Water (2001)". Rotten Tomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1112035-dead_in_the_water/. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ "Scott Bairstow filma suspense no Brasil" (in Portuguese). Estadão. July 27, 2000. http://www.estadao.com.br/arquivo/arteelazer/2000/not20000728p1252.htm. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ "Rapper DMX flys in to latest `Crow' feature". San Diego Union-Tribune. August 6, 2000. pp. E6. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sandiego/access/57642338.html?dids=57642338:57642338&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Aug+06%2C+2000&author=&pub=The+San+Diego+Union+-+Tribune&desc=Rapper+DMX+flys+in+to+latest+%60Crow'+feature&pqatl=google. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ Nusair, David (March 4, 2002). "Dead in the Water (March 4/02)". Reel Film Reviews. http://www.reelfilm.com/deadin.htm. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ Laforest, Kevin. "review of Dead in the Water". Apollo Guide. http://apolloguide.com/mov_fullrev.asp?CID=4124&Specific=4871. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ Null, Christopher. "Dead in the Water". AMC Filmcritic. http://www.filmcritic.com/misc/emporium.nsf/60e74e041ca9cd6b8625626f0062219f/39d75e9d8c05273c88256b700074d45e?OpenDocument. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235333/awards
- American films
- English-language films
- 2002 films
- Crime thriller films
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.