Makahu Coordinates: 39°16′54″S 174°37′50″E / 39.28167°S 174.63056°ECoordinates: 39°16′54″S 174°37′50″E / 39.28167°S 174.63056°E Country New Zealand Region Taranaki District Stratford District
Makahu is a settlement in inland Taranaki, in the western North Island of New Zealand. It is located to the southeast of Strathmore. the Makahu Stream runs south through the area to join with the Mangaehu Stream, which flows into the Patea River.
The name Makahu means "White Hawk".
Makahu School is a coeducational full primary (years 1-8) school with a decile rating of 6 and a roll of 14. The school was founded in 1905.
- ^ Peter Dowling (editor) (2004). Reed New Zealand Atlas. Reed Books. Map 35. ISBN 0-7900-0952-8.
- ^ Roger Smith, GeographX (2005). The Geographic Atlas of New Zealand. Robbie Burton. Map 86. ISBN 1-877333-20-4.
- ^ a b "Heritage Inventory" (PDF). Stratford District Council. pp. 6–7. http://www.stratford.govt.nz/files/HeritageInventoryPages56to110.pdf.
- ^ "Te Kete Ipurangi - Makahu School". Ministry of Education. http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/display_school_info.php?school_id=2185.
- ^ "Makahu School 100 Year Jubilee" ([dead link] – Scholar search). Education Gazette New Zealand 83 (8). 10 May 2004. http://www.edgazette.govt.nz/notices.php?action=view&id=602203.
- Stratford District
- Populated places in New Zealand
- Taranaki Region geography stubs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.