- Glorieta Pass Battlefield
Infobox_nrhp | name =Glorieta Pass Battlefield
nrhp_type = nhl
Santa Fe, New Mexico
lat_degrees = 35
lat_minutes = 33
lat_seconds = 36
lat_direction = N
long_degrees = 105
long_minutes = 47
long_seconds = 8
long_direction = W
locmapin = New Mexico
November 05, 1961cite web|url=http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/detail.cfm?ResourceId=345&ResourceType=Site
title=Glorieta Pass Battlefield |accessdate=2008-06-04|work=National Historic Landmark summary listing|publisher=National Park Service]
October 15, 1966cite web|url=http://www.nr.nps.gov/|title=National Register Information System|date=2008-04-15|work=National Register of Historic Places|publisher=National Park Service]
governing_body = State
Glorieta Pass Battlefield, also known as Glorieta Pass, was the site of a decisive
American Civil Warbattle that ended Confederate ambitions to cut off the West from the Union. The Battle of Glorieta Passtook place on March 26-28, 1862.
The battlefield was declared a
National Historic Landmarkin 1961.citation|title=PDFlink| [http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NHLS/Text/66000486.pdf National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Glorieta Pass Battlefield / Glorietta Pass] |32 KB|date=July 25, 1978 |author=Richard Greenwood and Cecil McKithan |publisher=National Park Service and PDFlink| [http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NHLS/Photos/66000486.pdf "Accompanying 3 photos, from 1959 and 1974"] |32 KB]
Parts of the battlefield are preserved in
Pecos National Historical Park.
In 1993, the Congressionally appointed Civil War Sites Advisory Commission issued its "Report on the Nation’s Civil War Battlefields." [http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/abpp/cwsac/cws0-1.html] The Commission was tasked with identify the nation’s historically significant Civil War sites, determining their importance, and providing recommendations for their preservation to Congress.
Of the roughly 10,500 actions of the U.S. Civil War, [Dyer, Frederick "A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion". Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908.] 384 (3.7%) were identified by the Commission as principal battles and rated according to their significance and threat of loss. The Battle of Glorietta Pass received the highest rating from the Commission - Priority I (Class A). Class A battlefields are principal strategic operations having a direct impact on the course of the war. With this rating the Commission placed Glorietta Pass on the same level with battles such as Gettysburg and Antietam. The Priority I rating identified Glorietta Pass as being not only one of the most important, but also one of the most highy endangered battlefields in the country. Only 10 other battlefields received the Priority I (Class A) rating. The Commission recommended that Congress focus its preservation efforts on Priority I, nationally significant battlefields. ["Civil War Sites Advisory Commission Report on the Nation's Civil War Battlefields". Washington, DC: The National park Service, 1993.]
Since 1993 portions of the Glorietta Pass battlefield have become a unit of the National Park Service. The Glorietta Pass unit (Pigeon’s Ranch) comprises roughly 20% of the total battlefield. The remaining 80% is in private ownership. Glorietta Pass Battlefield is managed by
Pecos National Historical Parkand supported by the Glorietta Battlefield Coalition, a non-profit citizens' organization. [http://glorietapass.org/]
* [http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/hhh.nm0 __: __ photos, __drawings, __data pages and supplemental material] , at
Historic American Building Survey
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.