- River Tyne, Scotland
The River Tyne is a
riverin Scotland, UK. It rises in the Moorfoot Hills in Midlothiannear Tyneheadto the south of Edinburgh, at the junction of the B6458 and the B6367. It continues for approx. 30 miles in a north-eastern direction, and it empties into the North Seanear Belhaven.
The Tyne is mainly a
confluencebetween the Birns Water and the Tyne Water, approx. 2 km east of Easter Pencaitlandand 1 km south west of Spilmersford Bridge, in the grounds of Saltoun Hall. The Humbie Water is another main headwater.
The Tyne has a number of tributaries:
*Bellyford Burn, rises east of
Dalkeith; passes north of Cousland, Midlothianand south of Carberry Hill; south of Elphinstone Tower; north of Ormiston; joins Puddle Burn; joins Tyne Water at Winton House.
*Kinchie Burn, rises east of
Pathhead; supplies Glenkinchie Distillery; joins Burns Water at Milton Bridge, West Saltoun.
*Blackford Burn/Belsis Burn/Murray's Burn, joins the Tyne Water at
*Cock Burn, rises at Lower Saltoun, joins the Tyne at Badger Wood.
*Fala Dam Burn, East Water, Salters' Burn and Blackhouse Burn combine into Keith Water which flows into
HumbieWater, south of Humbie Kirk.
*Johnstounburn Water rises near Woodcote Mill and joins Humbie Water near Saltoun Forest.
*Letham Burn and St Laurence House Burn combine to join the Tyne at the southern outskirts of Haddington.
*Bearford Burn rises in Playmuir wood and joins the Tyne at Beanston Mill.
*Old Hailes Burn joins the Tyne at Hailes Castle.Gallery starts with the Tyne's main headwaters: Birns Water, Tyne Water, Humbie Water
On its way to the
North Sea, the Tyne passes through, or near to, the following places:
* Easter Pencaitland; Spilmersford Bridge, B6355; Saltoun Hall
* Nisbet; Badger Wood; Herdmanston Mains
* Samuelston bridge; Begbie; Grants' Braes Bridge on B6368
* Clerkington and Clerkington Mill
* Haddington: Knox Academy; Stevenson Bridge; Cheviot House Mill; Sports Centre; Waterloo Bridge B6368; St. Mary's Church; Nungate Bridge; Victoria Bridge
* Abbey Bridge, Abbeymill Farm (south of the A1); Lady's Wood; Stevenson House
* Sandy's Mill; Beanston Mill; Brown Knowe Plantation;
Hailes Castle, Hailes Mill
* A1 Bridge, Brae Heads, north of
East Linton; A199 bridge; B1377 bridge
PhantassieFarm, birthplace of John Rennie (engineer); Phantassie Doocot
* alongside the B1407, past
Prestonkirk Parish Churchand Preston Mill
* Knowes Mill; Acre Plantation;
TyninghameBridge, A198; Firth Plantation
Tyninghame Housenorth of the Tyne
Mosshouse Point; Hedderwick Sands; Belhaven Bay, Tyne Sands, St. Baldred's Cradle, John Muir Country Park
The River Tyne's journey from Spilmersford Bridge to the Tyne Estuary
* [http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/publications/commissioned_reports/f001j07.pdf Survey of Water Voles within the Tyne catchment, by Scottish Natural Heritage]
* [http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/article.php?id=18996&sec=1 East Lothian Courier article 24/01/08, Otter revival on the Tyne]
* [http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/jeb/2006/00000019/00000005/art00026?crawler=true Threespine sticklebacks in the River Tyne / Edinburgh Univ. Institute of Evolutionary Biology]
* [http://www.sepa.org.uk/publications/waterenv/html/3.html Scottish Environment Protection Agency report: "Scotland's Water Environment Review 2000-2006"]
* [http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4903.0 Fishing tips for River Tyne]
* The East Lothian Angling Association controls 25 miles of the tyne and its feeder burns; there are
Brown troutand sea trout.
* [http://www.bestechsystems.com/casestudy14.shtml A1 River Tyne Bridge case study]
* [http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/tyne_scot.htm UK Rivers Guidebook]
* [http://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/documents/contentmanage/HaddingtonWalks-13101.PDF PDF Map Leaflet of Haddington with River Tyne information]
* [http://www.midlothian.gov.uk/images/walks/Walk6VogrieTyneValleyPath.pdf Midlothian Council Walk Leaflet PDF on Vogrie Country park / Tyne Valley Path]
* [http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/centralscotland/vogrie-tyne-valley-path Description of walking Tyne Valley Path at Vogrie Country Park, Midlothian]
List of rivers in Scotland
Rivers and Fisheries Trusts of Scotland(RAFTS)
List of waterway societies in the United Kingdom
List of navigation authorities in the United Kingdom
List of places in East Lothian
List of places in Midlothian
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.