- Aims Community College
Aims Community College is a two year
collegeserving northern Coloradowith three campuses in Greeley, Fort Luptonand Loveland. Aims offers more than 130 degree and certificate programs and provides many diverse programs as both day and night classes. [ [http://www.aims.edu Aims Homepage] ] Aims was founded in 1967 and the first class graduated in 1969. Aims started with one campus in Greeley and later expanded in 1984 to have another campus in Fort Lupton, and in 1987 the Aims Loveland campus was established. Infobox_University
name = Aims Community College
established = 1967
type = Two Year
president = Marsi Liddell
dean = Dr. Howard Major
students = 8,000
city = Greeley
state = Colorado
country = United States
campus = Loveland, Greeley, Fort Lupton
website = [http://www.aims.edu www.aims.edu]
= History =In 1965 Kirby Hart of Greeley suggested that a two-year college should be considered for northern Colorado. January 24 1967: The voters in 11 of Weld County’s 12 public school districts approved creation of the Community College District and on September 27 the first day of classes began there were 949 students enrolled. In May of 1968 the First class graduated and three students received degrees. In 1969 A permanent convert|175|acre|km2|sing=on site for the college was purchased on the western edge of Greeley. In 1975 Dr. Ed Beaty died, he was the first president of Aims. In 1984 The South Campus opened west of Fort Lupton. In 1987 Aims opened a campus in downtown Loveland. On April of 1992 Aims celebrated it's 25th anniversary. On August 31, 2004, was the first day of the semester system, replacing the quarter system. In 2005 Aims was named one of the top 10 Digital Community Colleges for digital education. On January 24, 2007, Aims celebrated its 40th anniversary [ [http://www.aims.edu/about/history.htm Aims History] ]
= Values =Aims Commuinity College [ [http://www.aims.edu/about/values.htm Aims Values] ] embraces the following values.
1. Learning and Innovation: "Aims is a Learning-Centered College, meaning that all actions and decisions by administration, faculty, staff and trustees are based on how they will promote student learning."
2. Building Relationships: "We believe in building relationships, both with students and with members of our greater community. The strength of these ties enhances the ability of the college to fulfill its mission."
3. Community Service: "We are a community college and we're here to serve the community. Aims is ready to meet the educational needs of our ever-changing society, through academic programs and workplace training."
= Campuses =Aims currently has four physical campuses as well as an online campus.
The main campus in west Greeley is home to 14 buildings, including the new Allied Health and Sciences Building and the new Aviation Building.The Greeley Campus also features the newly renovated Ed Beaty Hall, a $20 million dollar project. [ [http://www.aims.edu/campus/greeley/index.php Health and Science Building] ]
The Aims Fort Lupton campus offers many different ways to help students with their job, their careers, their goals, their lives. Students can also work toward an associate degree in Fort Lupton.
Located in the heart of downtown, the Loveland Campus offers a wide variety of credit and continuing education classes.
The Downtown Center opened in August 2006. It offers classes that are more accessible to the east side of Greeley and is intended to create more involvement with the community and businesses of downtown.
Courses offered through the Online Campus are conducted over the Internet using web-based course sites. It Offers students access to quality education without having to come to a classroom every week, gives local students access to distance education opportunities and allows students to meet their educational goals on a time schedule that is convenient and flexible
= Academic Programs =
Aims Community College offers lots of Academic Programs, which include:
*Automotive Collision Technology
*Automative Service Technology
*Building/Construction Site Management
*Computer Information Systems
*College Prep Math/Reading/English
*Early Childhood Education
*Emergency Medical Services
*Graphic Design and Rich Media
*Horticulture and Landscape Technology
*Medical Clinical Assisting
*Visual and Performing Arts
*Art and Design
*World Language and Ethic Studies [ [http://www.aims.edu/academics/index.php Academic Programs] ]
= Accreditation =According to the Aims website [ [http://www.aims.edu/about/accreditation.htm Aims Accreditation] ] , the college is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission [ [http://www.ncahlc.org/ Higher Learning Commission] ] and is a member of the
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Various programs at Aims CC have their own accreditations.
- Auto Program - NATEF (National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation) certified also an AYES school (Automotive Youth Education System) nationally at both the Greeley and Fort Lupton Campuses
- Aviation Program - Federal Aviation Administration
- Emergency Medical Services - Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Emergency Medical Services Division (This is not an actual accreditation - however they regulate EMS programs)
- Fire Science Technology - International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC)
- Paramedic Program - Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). In process - estimated to be completed spring 2008.
- Police Academy - Colorado Peace Officers Standards and Training Board through the Colorado Attorney General's Office
- Surgical Technology - Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology (ARC-ST) through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education programs (CAAHEP)
= Student Resources =
Aims offers student resources that help students in area that they may need help in. Those resources include:
*Academic Resource Center
*Disability Access Center
*Student Success Center
*Student Support Services (TRIO) [ [http://www.aims.edu/student/services.php Student Resources] ]
= Media =In addition to the [http://www.aims.edu/student/studentlife/resources/aims_angle.htm Aims Angle] newspaper and the [http://www.aims.edu/student/studentlife/tp/index.htm Toilet Paper] and Aims Magazine, Aims also has a [http://www.aims.edu/about/video.htm Aims TV] which is piped via cable to Greeley, Loveland, Fort Lupton and Fort Collins.
= Facts & Stats =Aims Community College is one of the largest and most comprehensive two-year colleges in Colorado. Since 1967 Aims has established four campuses, constructed 18 buildings, expanded curriculum to 2,000 day, evening and weekend courses and taught more than 200,000 students.
Today, Aims ranks among the most respected community colleges in the nation.
= UNC & CSU Connections =
Aims Community College has a cooperative registration agreement with the Univerity of Northern Colorado and Colorado State University. Students enrolled for 12 or more semester credits are eligible to enroll in one additional undergraduate class (maximum 5 semester credits) at the
University of Northern Colorado(UNC) or Colorado State University(CSU) during the corresponding term without additional tuition charges.
Full-time UNC and CSU students may likewise enroll in one course (maximum 5 semester credits) at Aims. Continuing Education courses cannot be taken as the free class. [ [http://www.aims.edu/student/admissions/coop/index.htm Cooperative Registration Agreement] ]
= References =
= External links =
* [http://www.aims.edu Aims Home Page]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.