- The Tribe (Monica's Gang)
"The Tribe" is a set of fictional characters appearing at the
Monica's Gangcomic strips. All characters belong to a indigenous people tribe from Amazon (although never specified which). Their tribe was once named "Tribo do Rio" "(River's Tribe)". Although the only characters are Tom-Tom (the main character), Tamoyo, Papaya and the Pajé, their stories feature a large range of themes, going from environmental concerns to the shock between indigenous and non-indigenous cultures. People from outside the jungle are called "Caras-pálidas" ("White-faced" or "paleface", due to their white skin, in contrast to the usual dark skin of indigenous peoples from the Amazon) or simply "Caraíbas". When one of the Caraíbas approaches Tom-Tom's tribe, the encounter can be either friendly or unfriendly, the latter always happening when the Caraíba attempts to hunt, deforest, burn, or in any other way, harm the environment. Tupã, the God of the Guaranipeople, and Jaci, the Moon, are occasionally mentioned.
* "Tom-Tom" "(Papa-Capim)" – Tom-Tom is a brave, curious curumim (child in
Tupi-Guaranilanguage). He is an avid hunter and fisher, but at first, an environment protector. He won't let any Caraíba harm the jungle and its animals.
* "Tamoyo" "(Cafuné)" – Tom-Tom's best friend. Always accompanying him through his adventures involving hunting, fishing, or fighting evil Caraíbas.
* "Papaya" "(Jurema)" – Her Portuguese name refers to a local tree. She appears as Tom-Tom's lover, but not always as her girlfriend. Sometimes, she ignores him and tells him about the many qualities other inhabitants of their tribe have, and that he needs to improve a lot to deserve her attention. However, she would frequently be jealously of him.
* "Pajé" – The name of this character is also the name is his position at the tribe. A "Pajé" is like a
shaman, who can contact spirits and use these contacts to cure illness and sickness, view the future and receive messages from the gods. Pajé is very intelligent, and is always giving advice to Tom-Tom. He knows many secrets of the jungle, such as the cure power of plants, or the virtues of the animals.
* "Kava" - Tom-Tom's little cousin. As a younger child, he is very curious about his surroundings, and adventurous as well. As such, he has to be kept in line as Tom-Tom tries to teach him about things, and also how to speak Portuguese (Kava mostly, if not solely, speaks
Tupi-Guarani). His name means "wasp" in Tupi-Guarani.
* [http://www.monica.com.br/ingles/personag/t-tribe.htm The Tribe at Mônica’s Gang official website] en icon
* [http://www.monica.com.br/ingles/index.htm Official Monica's Gang website] en icon
* [http://www.monica.com.br/index.htm Official Monica's Gang website] pt icon
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.