- Bad Moon Rising (song)
Name = Bad Moon Rising
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Album = Green River
August 3, 1969
track_no = 5
Recorded = 1969, Wally Heider's Studio, San Francisco, California
Genre = Rock
Length = 2:36
Label = Fantasy
prev = "
Wrote a Song for Everyone"
prev_no = 4
next = "Lodi"
next_no = 6"Bad Moon Rising" is a
1969song by Creedence Clearwater Revival, written by John Fogerty. It was the lead single from their album "Green River" and the group’s breakthrough hit, reaching #2 on the Billboard hot 100singles chart and #1 on the UK singles chart for three weeks in September 1969.
Notable cover versions
Emmylou Harrisincluded the song on her 1981 " Evangeline" album, and had has included the song in her concert set lists sporadically in the years since.
Ann Wilson, lead singer of Heart, recorded a cover versionof this song for her 2007 solo release "Hope & Glory" with country music singer Gretchen Wilson.
* Other artists, such as
Rolf Harris, Type O Negative, Lagwagon, Social Distortion, Rasputina, Rancid, The Reels, 16 Horsepower, and Steel Trainhave also covered the song.
* A reggae version was released in 1981 by
Jah Mallaon Atco Records.
* An innovative version appears on an album (COMD2009 "On The Rise") that was released in 1986 by the Scottish traditional music group,
The Battlefield Band(the group has a tradition of ending their first set with one or another of Creedence Clearwater Revival's hit songs). The first half of track 6 comprises an instrumental version of John Fogerty's "Bad Moon Rising" presented in a unique fashion (their version is usually introduced to live audiences as "a surfing song from the Outer Hebrides"), whilst the second half of track 6 comprises "The Rising Moon Reel", written by their piper, Dougie Pincock, which is a stirring reel.
Rolf Harriscovered the song. His version appears on the albums "Can you tell what it is yet", " Rolf Rules OK?" and " King Rolf".
Nirvana (band)played this song live.
* The song was covered by
psychobillyband The Meteors; the cover can be found not only on their album " Monkey's Breath", but on their "best of" album as well.
* The song was covered by Reeves Gabrels on "The Sacred Squall of Now" (1995).
mondegreenof the last line is "There's a bathroom on the right". (The correct line is "There's a bad moon on the rise".) Fogerty himself has been known to occasionally substitute the "bathroom" version of the lyric as a joke during his live shows, including on his 1998live album "Premonition".
Use in soundtracks
* It was one of many "moon"-titled songs to feature on the soundtrack to "
An American Werewolf in London".
* It was featured on the soundtrack of "Sweet Home Alabama".
* The season one finale of "Supernatural" featured the song playing on the radio of the characters' '67
Impalajust as a semi driven by a possessed man hits them and nearly totals the car.
* The season three finale of "Las Vegas" features the song in the opening minutes.
* The song was sung by
Homer Simpsonin The Simpsonsepisode Mr. Spritz Goes to Washingtonwhen Marge asked him to perform CPR.
* The Song was played in the movie "My Girl". It is located in the scene where Jamie Lee Curtis' character & Vada are at the carnival getting ready to ride the bumper cars.
* The song appears in "". [http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1912 Bad Moon Rising Songfacts] . "
Songfacts". Retrieved June 8 2008.]
* The song also appears in the movies "
My Fellow Americans", "Man of the House", and " Mr. Woodcock".The song is played in the ABC Network Original Halloween Movie "The Midnight Hour" in 1985.
References in other media
Chris Bermangave the nickname to former NFL receiver Andre Rison, "Andre 'Bad Moon' Rison".
*There is an episode of the TV show The West Wing titled "Bad Moon Rising."
*There is an episode of the TV show
Everybody Loves Raymondtitled "Bad Moon Rising."
Cartman SucksEpisode of South Park, Cartman calls one of his pictures of Butters "New Moon Rising"
Manchester Unitedfans have a song called " Stretford EndRising" based on the song.
Stephen King's book " The Shining" the character Jack turns on the radio to this song. Some take it as foreshadowing of future events at the Overlook Hotelin the film to the book.
* The season 1 finale of "Hannah Montana" is entitled: "Bad Moose Rising" based on this song.
* AIDS activist and artist David Wojnarowicz entitled his 1989 multimedia collage "Bad Moon Rising" to address with critical acuity the AIDS epidemic as well as to document his own suffering.
* An episode of
Buffy The Vampire Slayeris called New Moon Risingin reference to the song
* The first major expansion of the online game
2Moonswas entitled "Bad Moons Rising".
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.