- Birch beer
Birch beer is a
carbonated soft drinkmade from herbal extracts, usually from birchbark. It has a taste similar to root beer, with a slightly minty and sharper flavor. Various types of birch beer are available, distinguished by color. The color depends on the species of birch tree from which the sap is extracted (though enhancements via artificial coloring are not uncommon). Popular colors include brown, red, and white (clear), though others are possible. After the sap is collected, it is distilled to make birch oil. The oil is added to the carbonated drink to give it the distinctive flavor. "Black birch" is the most common source of extract.
This drink is most commonly found in the northeast United States, and Newfoundland in Canada.
* [http://www.catawissabottlingco.com/index.html Big Ben's]
Boylan Bottling Company
* [http://www.hosmersoda.com/ Hosmer Mountain Soda ]
IBC Root Beer
* [http://www.jonessoda.com/ Jones Soda ]
* [http://www.daretogodutch.com/ Pennsylvania Dutch]
* [http://www.polarbev.com/ Polar Beverages]
Stewart's Fountain Classics
White Rock Beverages
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.