- University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
name = University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
motto = "Disciplina, Praesidium, Civitatis"
established = 1959
endowment = Over $348 million http://www.uthscsa.edu/HSCNews/archive/HSCfactsheet.pdf]
president = [http://www.uthscsa.edu/OP/OP.htm Francisco G. Cigarroa, M.D.]
undergrad = 325
postgrad = 2,754
faculty = 1,494 [ [http://www.utsystem.edu/NEWS/ComponentFacts.htm University of Texas System - Put office name here ] ]
campus = Urban
city = San Antonio
website = [http://www.uthscsa.edu/ http://www.uthscsa.edu]
logo=The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHSCSA) is a major and nationally recognized institute of health science education and research. It is ranked as the 14th largest medical school in the United States, ahead of Harvard, Case Western, Georgetown, and BCM. [ [http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_size_brief.php USNews.com: America's Best Graduate Schools 2008: Medical Schools: Which are the largest and smallest medical schools? ] ]
UTHSCSA is the largest comprehensive health sciences university in
South Texas. Located in the South Texas Medical Center, it serves San Antonio and all of the 50,000 square mile (130,000 km²) area of central and south Texas. It extends to campuses in the metropolitan border communities of Laredo and the Rio GrandeValley.
With 22,000 graduates [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=2638 HSC NEWS - The University of Texas Health Science Center - The Office of External Affairs ] ] , more than 3,000 students a year train in an environment that involves more than 100 affiliated hospitals, clinics and health care facilities in South Texas. The university offers over 65 degrees, the majority of them being graduate and professional degrees, in the biomedical and health sciences fields.
ize and budget
* Number of employees: 5,076 [http://research.uthscsa.edu/VPRnews-3-28-08.pdf]
* BUDGET (2008): $576,189,482 [ [http://research.uthscsa.edu/VPRnews-3-28-08.pdf Office of the Vice President - The University of Texas Health Science Center] ]
* ENDOWMENTS (September 2005): [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/univrel/Financial.html Financials ] ]
** 234 endowed accounts
** $348 million total market value
*RESEARCH EXPENDITURES: $170 million (FY 2008) [ [http://research.uthscsa.edu/VPRnews-3-28-08.pdf UTHSCSA - Office of Vice President for Research ] ]
In 2005, UTHSCSA ranked 2nd among all Texan universities in Federal/State R&D expenditures ratio, only after
Baylor College of Medicine. [ [http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/1211.pdf Research Expenditures 9/04-8/05 ] ] The university ranks third in terms of the cheapest tuition among all medical schools in the United States. [ [http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_cost_public_brief.php USNews.com: America's Best Graduate Schools 2008: Medical Schools: Priciest and cheapest public schools ] ]
The university is one of four medical schools in the
University of Texas System. The school has six campuses, spanning convert|250|acre|km2 in total [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/univrel/Campus.html Campus ] ] :
* Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long Campus
* Texas Research Park
* Laredo [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=2811 UTHSCSA news; Laredo Programs] ]
**Bachelor's in Respiratory Care
**Master’s degree in Physician Assistant (Two of three-year master’s degree)
**Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Dietetics and Nutrition Program (coming in 2009)
**Clinical Laboratory Science
* Harlingen (RAHC)
Teaching hospitals and clinics
* University Hospital ("ranked as one of the Top 50 hospitals in the US for seven years in a row") [ [http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/news/press-releases/PR-07-07-06.html Error Page ] ]
* UTHSCSA Dental School outpatient clinic
* [http://www.vasthcs.med.va.gov/alm.htm Audie L. Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital]
* Christus Santa Rosa medical center
* [http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhhospitals/SanAntonioSH/SASH_About.shtm San Antonio State Hospital]
Brooke Army Medical Center( Fort Sam Houston)
* [http://www.whmc.af.mil/ Wilford Hall Medical Center] (
* [http://www.utmedicinesa.com UT Medicine SA]
Achievements, rankings and impact
* Dental School ranked one of world's highest [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=1742 HSC NEWS - The University of Texas Health Science Center - The Office of External Affairs ] ] overall, and fourth worldwide in dental science publications. [ [http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2005/10/10/daily23.html UT Health Science Center Dental School named world's fourth-best - San Antonio Business Journal: ] ] [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=1813 HSC NEWS - The University of Texas Health Science Center - The Office of External Affairs ] ]
* Dental School ranked #1 in "US News" last ranking printed in 1996. [http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/best.html]
* The "Pharmacy School" (partially located on campus but run by
UT Austin) is 2nd in the nation. [ [http://www.uspharmd.com/student/2005_School_Rank.html] [http://www.pharmacychoice.com/education/ranking.cfm] ]
* Ranked sixth in the nation in clinical medicine research impact for the period 2001 to 2005. [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=2353 HSC NEWS - The University of Texas Health Science Center - The Office of External Affairs ] ] [ [http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA040407.medical.center.EN.2dc65c3e.html MySA.com: Metro | State ] ] [ [http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2007/04/09/daily19.html?surround=lfn Health Science Center ranked among America's best for medical research - San Antonio Business Journal: ] ]
* The university is ranked number 51 in the 2007 world ranking in the clinical medicine category. [ [http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2007/MED.htm field ] ]
* Ranked 5th for hispanics in the medical sciences category. [ [http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2007/08/27/daily42.html?ana=from_rss Magazine ranks UT Southwestern best medical school for Hispanics - Dallas Business Journal: ] ]
* Number one in
National Institutes of Healthfunding for aging research.
* Named a National Center of Excellence in Women's Health, by the U.S. Secretary of Health & Human Services.
* The Medical School ranked 48th in
NIHfunding for research grants among 3,181 institutes in 2004. [ [http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl04.htm NIH Awards to Medical Schools by Rank, FY 2004 ] ]
* The "Cellular and Structural Biology" program ranks 10th in
* The Physiology department ranked 17th in NIH funding. [ [http://physiology.uthscsa.edu/research/positions_available.asp UTHSCSA Department of Physiology - Positions Available ] ]
liver transplantprogram is ranked 9th largest and most successful in the nation.
* UTHSCSA faculty members are among the world's most cited scientific authors, listed in the top one-half of one percent of all published scientists.
* University Hospital ranked among top 50 hospitals in the U.S. in three specialties: Respiratory Disorders, Kidney Disease and Hormonal Disorders (
endocrinology, including diabetescare) for the sixth consecutive year (2005). [ [http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/news/press-releases/PR-07-08-05.html] [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=2120] ]
* Only tier one research university in
Palmaz Stent, developed by Dr. Julio Palmaz, has been named "one of ten patents that changed the world."
* UTHSCSA is conducting the largest study of
congestive heart failurein America.
* $1.29 billion a year contributed to the South Texas economy.
* Chief catalyst for the $15.3 billion biosciences and health care industry in San Antonio.
* Accounting for at least 12,000 jobs both on and off campus.
* $263 million of facility upgrades have been allocated for the campus by the
University of TexasBoard of Regents. [ [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat.asp?newID=2154 HSC NEWS - The University of Texas Health Science Center - The Office of External Affairs ] ] This includes the new $150 million convert|200000|sqft|m2|sing=on "South Texas Research Facility", currently under construction.
* The "San Antonio Cancer Institute" (SACI) is a
National Cancer Institute( NCI )-designated cancer center and is one of only two centers with this prestigious distinction in Texas. [http://www.utsystem.edu/news/2006/BOR-CompetitivenessInit-08-10-06.htm]
* The university ranked 76th nationwide in 2005 in the number of faculty awards, tied with
Virginia Tech, Arizona State University, Florida State University, Mayo Medical School, and Iowa State University. ["Academic Sourcebook, A report on the State of Science in Universities and Colleges", June 2007, p.57] [See p.189 of [http://mup.asu.edu/research2006.pdf pdf version] ]
* 1959: South Texas Medical School is chartered.
* 1966: First class of 15 students is admitted to the Medical School; temporarily housed at Trinity University.
* 1969: Legislature authorizes creation of Dental School.
* 1970: Legislature authorizes School of Nursing.
* 1972: School of Allied Health Sciences and Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences created Institution is officially designated The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Frank Harrison, M.D., Ph.D., appointed first president.
* 1976: Responsibility for the School of Nursing is transferred to the U. T. Health Science Center from the U. T. Nursing School at Austin.
* 1987: Gift of $15 million from H.
Ross Perotfinances creation of Institute of Biotechnology.
* 1992: National Institutes of Health funds HSC researchers' work on the
Human Genome Project.
* 1998: State Legislature authorizes creation of a Regional Academic Health Center in the Lower Rio Grande Valley (RAHC), to be administered by the Health Science Center’s Medical School.
* 1999: Health Science Center is designated to receive a $200 million public endowment from the State of Texas to establish a Children’s Cancer Research Institute Construction begins on new South Texas Centers for Biology in Medicine at the Texas Research Park.
* 2003: Health Science Center receives largest grant to date for a $37 million study of small subcortical strokes, the most common type of stroke in South Texas. Health Science Center and UT San Antonio sign an agreement to establish the San Antonio Life Sciences Institute, a new collaborative research and education partnership. President Cigarroa announces a $300 million initiative to build a Research Tower in the South Texas Medical Center and recruit leading scientists for it.
* 2004: Health Science Center dedicates $50 million
Children's Cancer Research Institute, where scientists currently study formation and development of cancer in children and adults.
* 2007: Health Science Center receives a $25 million donation from the Greehey Family Foundation.
Valero Energy Corporationdonates $5 million to the university.
* 2007: The
Cancer Therapy & Research Centeris acquired by UTHSCSA.
* 2007: Health Science Center receives a $25 million donation from Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long. The central campus is renamed the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long Campus.
* 2008: University Hospital announces plans for a $1 billion expansion that includes a new trauma tower. [ [http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2008/07/28/story7.html?b=1217217600%5E1673322 University Health System officials say expansion is needed medicine - San Antonio Business Journal: ] ]
* [http://dental.uthscsa.edu/ Dental School:] Community Dentistry, Dental Diagnostic Science, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, Restorative Dentistry.
* Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences: Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Cellular and Structural Biology, Clinical Investigation, Clinical Lab Sciences, Dental Hygiene, Dentistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Molecular Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physiology, Radiological Sciences.
* [http://som.uthscsa.edu/ Medical School:] Anesthesiology, Family and Community Medicine, [http://medicine.uthscsa.edu Medicine] , Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ophthalmology, [http://www.uthscsa.edu/orthopaedics/ Orthopaedics:] , Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, [http://radiology.uthscsa.edu/ Radiology:] , Radiation Oncology, Rehabilitation Medicine, Surgery, Urology.
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/sah/ School of Health Professions:] Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Dental Hygiene, Dental Laboratory Sciences, Emergency Health Sciences, Occupational Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, Physical Therapy, Respiratory Care.
* [http://nursing.uthscsa.edu/ School of Nursing:] Acute Nursing Care, Chronic Nursing Care, Family Nursing Care.
* [http://www.utexas.edu/pharmacy/ College of Pharmacy] (affiliated with
University of Texas at Austin)
* [http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/sa/ School of Public Health] (affiliated with
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston)
Centers and institutes
* [http://www.texasdiabetesinstitute.com/ Texas Diabetes Institute]
* South Texas AIDS Center for Children and Their Families
* Aging Research and Education Center
* [http://www.barshop.uthscsa.edu Sam and Ann Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies]
* [http://www.cauma.uthscsa.edu/ Center for Analytical Ultracentrifugation of Macromolecular Assemblies (CAUMA)]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/cbn/ Center for Biomedical Neuroscience]
* [http://nmr.uthscsa.edu/ Center for Biomolecular NMR Spectroscopy]
* Biomolecular Structure Analysis
* Center for Health Economics and Policy
* [http://cih.uthscsa.edu/ Center for Integrative Health]
Children's Cancer Research Institute
* [http://nursing.uthscsa.edu/HPWC Center for Community Based Health Promotion in Women and Children]
* [http://www.niehs-cmgcc.uthscsa.edu/ Comparative Mouse Genomics Center]
* Environmental Hazards Research Center
* [http://gcrc.uthscsa.edu/ Frederic C. Bartter General Clinical Research Center]
* Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center
* [http://geriatrics.uthscsa.edu/ Hartford Center of Excellence for Geriatrics Education]
* [http://www.pediatrics.uthscsa.edu/Hematology-Oncology/ Hemophilia Treatment Center]
* [http://sthrc.uthscsa.edu/stiprc/ Injury Prevention and Research Center]
* Institute of Biotechnology
* [http://facs.v5.uthscsa.edu/ Institutional Flow Cytometry Core Facility]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/hcoe/ Medical Hispanic Center of Excellence]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/eye/lions.asp Lions Sight Research Foundation]
* [http://www.texashumanities.org/ Center for Medical Humanities and Ethics]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/neurosurgery Center for Neurosurgical Sciences]
* [http://nursing.uthscsa.edu/research/MESA/MESA_index.cfm MESA: Center for Health Disparities]
* [http://www.barshop.uthscsa.edu/nathanshock/ Nathan Shock Center of Excellence in the Basic Biology of Aging]
* American Parkinson's Disease Association Information and Referral Center
* [http://cphpbr.uthscsa.edu/ Center for Public Health Preparedness and Biomedical Research]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/rchws Regional Center for Health Workforce Studies at CHEP]
* [http://ric.uthscsa.edu/ Research Imaging Center]
* [http://saci.uthscsa.edu/ San Antonio Cancer Institute]
* [http://texascancerclinic.com/ Texas Cancer Clinic]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/commpedi/stfan.htm South Texas AIDS Center for Children and Their Families]
* [http://southtexas.uthscsa.edu/HealthDisparities/ South Texas Center for Health Disparities]
* [http://steer.uthscsa.edu/ South Texas Environmental Education and Research Center]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/stwhc/fertility/ South Texas Fertility Center]
* [http://www.surgery.uthscsa.edu/stpc/ South Texas Poison Center]
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/stwhc/ South Texas Women's Health Center]
* START/South Texas Addiction Research and Technology Center
* South Texas Health Research Center
* [http://www.swri.edu/7biz/consort.htm Southwest Research Consortium]
* [http://www.texascentercshcn.org/ Texas Center for the Study of Children With Special Health Care Needs]
* [http://verdict.uthscsa.edu/verdict/ VERDICT - Veterans Evidence-based Research Dissemination Implementation Center]
* [http://www.biochem.uthscsa.edu/spr/ Center for Surface Plasmon Resonance]
* [http://nursing.uthscsa.edu/CVP/CVPmain.shtml Center for Violence Prevention]
University of Texas System
San Antonio, Texas
South Texas Medical Center
* [http://www.uthscsa.edu/ UTHSCSA's official site]
* [http://www.universityhealthsystem.com/Default.htm University Hospital] - The primary teaching hospital for The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
* [http://www.utmedicinesa.com UT Medicine] , the Health Science Center's newest addition
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.