] , Badami had a population of 25,851. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Badami has an average literacy rate of 65%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 59% of the males and 41% of females literate. 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Badami is full of cave temples, gateways, forts, inscriptions and sculptures. People speak Kannada, Hindi and English. They wear traditional Indian cotton wear.
Badami Cave Templesbetween the 6th and 8th centuries. The magnificent among the carvings are 81 dance poses of Nataraja. Important carvings are of Hindu deities Ganapati, Shanmuka, Mahishasura Mardhini, Ardha Nariswara, Sankara Narayana, Vishnu, Trivikrama, Astadikpalakas and Adisesha.
*Fourth cave temple daing back to 12th century with carvings of Jain Tirthankaras Mahavira, Parshwanatha and Padmavati.
*A Buddhist cave in a natural setting that can be entered only by crawling on knees.
*The Bhutanatha temple, a small shrine, facing the lake, constructed in 5th century.
*Badami Fort situated on top of the hill.
*Many Shivalayas including the Malegitti Shivalaya with 7th century origins.
*The Dattatreya temple.
*The Mallikarjuna temple dating back to the 11th century, built on a star shaped plan.
Dargah, a dome of an Islamicplace of worship on the south fort side.
*Vista points on top of the North Fort for the view of the ancient town below.
*Famous Banashankari Temple in nearby place.
*Archaeological museum, that has collection of sculptures from Badami,
Badami Cave Temples
Badami Chalukya Architecture
* [http://www.indoarch.org Architecture of Indian Subcontinent (under Karnataka)]
* [http://www.hinduonnet.com/fline/fl2121/stories/20041022000406400.htm Article on Indian Murals]
* [http://www.art-and-archaeology.com/india/badami/baplan.html Badami art and archearlogy]
* [http://peermade.info/pager.php?page=travelgallery&spot=bellarry&trip=badami Badami Photogallery]
* [http://www.indiantemples.com/Karnataka/badami.html Badami temples of Karnataka]
* [http://bagalkot.nic.in/badami.htm Bagalkot district info about Badami]
* [http://www.indiamonumnets.org Photographs of Badami and other monuments of Karnataka]
* [http://www.india-picture.net/badami?page=2 Photos of historical sites of Badami]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.