- Environmental technology
Environmental technology (abbreviated as EnviroTech) or green technology (abbreviated as GreenTech) or clean technology (abbreviated as CleanTech) is the application of the
environmental sciences to conserve the natural environmentand resources, and to curb the negative impacts of human involvement. Sustainable developmentis the core of "environmental technologies". When applying "sustainable development" as a solution for "environmental issues", the solutions need to be socially equitable, economically viable, and environmentally sound.
Some "environmental technologies" that retain "sustainable development" are;
recycling, water purification, sewage treatment, environmental remediation, flue gastreatment, solid waste management, and renewable energy. Some technologies assist directly with energy conservation, while other technologies are emerging that help the environment by reducing the amount of waste produced by human activities. Energysources such as solar powercreate less problems for the environment than traditional sources of energy like coaland petroleum.
Scientists continue to search for
clean energyalternatives to our current power production methods. Some technologies such as anaerobic digestionproduce renewable energy from wastematerials. The global reduction of greenhouse gasesis dependent on the adoption of energy conservation technologies at industrial level as well as this clean energy generation. That includes using unleaded gasoline, solar energyand alternative fuelvehicles, including plug-in hybridand hybrid electric vehicles.
Since electric motors consume 60% of all electricity generatedFact|date=January 2008, advanced energy efficient
electric motor(and electric generator) technology that are cost effective to encourage their application, such as the brushless wound-rotor doubly-fed electric machineand energy saving module, can reduce the amount of carbon dioxide(CO2) and sulfur dioxide(SO2) that would otherwise be introduced to the atmosphere, if electricity is generated using fossil fuels. Greasestockis an event held yearly in Yorktown Heights, New Yorkwhich is one of the largest showcases of environmental technology in the United States. [Norman, Jim. " [http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/automobiles/13GREASE.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin Where There’s Never an Oil Shortage] ". " New York Times". May 13, 2007.] [Tillman, Adriane. " [http://northcountynews.com/news/ncn_news1.asp Greasestock Festival returns, bigger and better] ". May 14, 2008.] [" [http://www.greasestock.org/ Greasestock 2008] ". " [http://greasestock.org Greasestock] ". Retrieved May 20, 2008.] [Max, Josh. " [http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/2008/05/13/2008-05-13_gasguzzlers_become_veggie_delights_at_gr.html Gas-guzzlers become veggie delights at Greasestock in Yorktown Heights] ". " Daily News". May 13, 2008.] [" [http://www.greasestock.org/images/GreasestockMay08.jpgGreasestock 2008: Alternative Fuel, Fun and French Fries] ". " [http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com/ Natural Awakenings] ". May 2008.]
Renewable resource(non-fossil fuel energy sources)
* Green technology for wireless communications
** Energy efficient radio access networks,
** Energy efficiency enhancement in radio access networks,
** Cliffside and Atom projects,
** WiFi with the Bluetooth function,
Energy Saving Modules
Brushless Wound-Rotor Doubly-Fed Electric Machine
Some groups, including green anarchists, have criticised the concept of environmental technology. From their viewpoint, technology is seen as a system rather than a specific physical tool. Technology, it is argued, "requires" the exploitation of the environment through the creation and extraction of resources, and the exploitation of people through labour, specialisation and the division of labor. There is no “neutral” form of technology, as things are always created in a certain context with certain aims and functions. Thus, green technology is rejected as an attempt to reform this exploitative system, merely changing it on the surface to make it seem environmentally friendly, despite continued unsustainable levels of human and natural exploitation.
*Air pollution dispersion modeling
Center for Environmental Technology(CET)
Confederation of European Environmental Engineering Societies
Environmental Technology Verification Program
National Venture Capital Association
* [http://ec.europa.eu/environment/etap/index_en.htm Environmental Technologies Action Plan] - European Commission - Wiki Environmental Technologies Action Plan
* [http://www.biobasednews.com/ BiobasedNews.com: a comprehensive database of environmental technology business news and stories and press releases]
* [http://www.cleantechgreentech.com Cleantech Greentech Blog] - Cleantech Greentech Blog
* [http://www.eucetsa.net/eucetsa EUCETSA] - European Committee of Environmental Technology Supplier Associations (representing over 1.000 companies in the environmental industry)
* [http://www.greenprogress.com/ Green Progress] - Environmental technology news and resources
* [http://www.norwayonline.no/index.php?cat=23 Related "Norway Online" resources]
* [http://entrepreneurship.ucdavis.edu/green Green Technology Entrepreneurship Academy - July 7 - 11, 2008]
* [http://www.mercurynews.com/greenenergy/ci_7392438 How Silicon Valley could become the Detroit of electric cars] .
* [http://thesomnambulist.org Green Gadgets, will they save the world?]
* [http://greenerchoices.org/ GreenerChoices Consumer Reports] .
* [http://www.zoppr.com/ Zoppr : Cleantech and Greentech News and Search site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.