- The Stars Look Down (film)
name = The Stars Look Down
Isadore Goldsmith Maurice J. Wilson
A. J. Cronin(novel & screenplay)
Grand National PicturesUK Metro-Goldwyn-MayerUSA
February 24, 1940
runtime = 110 min.
country = UK
language = English
amg_id = 1:46677
imdb_id = 0031976
"The Stars Look Down" is a 1939 film based on
A. J. Cronin's novel of the same title, initially published in 1935, which chronicles various injustices in a mining community in North East England. The film, co-scripted by Cronin and directed by Carol Reed, stars Michael Redgraveas Davey Fenwick and Margaret Lockwoodas Jenny Sunley. The American release includes narration by Lionel Barrymore. It is a " New York Times" Critics' Pick and is listed in "The New York Times Guide to the Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made".
Michael Redgrave...Davey Fenwick
Margaret Lockwood...Jenny Sunley
Emlyn Williams...Joe Gowlan
Nancy Price...Martha Fenwick
*Allan Jeayes...Richard Barras
Edward Rigby...Robert Fenwick
Linden Travers...Mrs. Laura Millington
Cecil Parker...Stanley Millington
*Milton Rosmer...Harry Nugent, MP
*George Carney...Slogger Gowlan
*Olga Lindo...Mrs. Sunley
Desmond Tester...Hughie Fenwick
David Markham...Arthur Barras
*Clive Baxter...Pat Reedy
*Frederick Burtwell...Union Official
*Dorothy Hamilton...Mrs. Reedy
*David Horne...Mr. Wilkins
*Edmund Willard...Mr. Ramage
There was a week of filming at St Helens Siddick
Collieryat Workingtonin Cumberland, followed by seven weeks of shooting at London's Denham and Twickenham Studios, where an elaborate mine-head was simulated. Later the set was moved to Shepperton Studiosfor an additional week of shooting. The original set of the mine-head was used to make up a huge composite set of 40,000 square yards, the largest exterior set ever constructed for a British film at the time. The set consisted of an exact replica of the Workington mine where the location work had been done, including a pit-head complete with cage, ramp, outer buildings, and rows of miners' cottages. To ensure authenticity, pit ponies from the Cumberland mines were used and the miners' costumes were clothes purchased from colliery workers.
*Vermilye, Jerry. "The Great British Films." Citadel Press, 1978, pp 49-51. ISBN 080650661X
E le stelle stanno a guardare"
The Stars Look Down (1974)"
* [http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/491824/synopsis.html British Film Institute synopsis]
* [http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=46677 "New York Times" overview]
* [http://www.cswap.com/1940/The_Stars_Look_Down Movie subtitles]
* [http://www.britmovie.co.uk/directors/c_reed/filmography/014.html Britmovie website]
* [http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews23/stars_look_down_dvd_review.htm Film review and images]
* [http://www.silversirens.co.uk/ml/starslookdown.php "The Stars Look Down" at Silver Sirens]
* [http://tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?scarlettTitleId=91325 "The Stars Look Down" at Turner Classic Movies]
*imdb title | id= 0031976| title=The Stars Look Down
*allmovie title | id= 1:46677| title=The Stars Look Down
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.