- Military Institute of Science and Technology
Military Institute of Science and Technology MIST Motto Technology for Advancement Established 1998 Type Public, Coeducational Students 900 Location Dhaka, Bangladesh Campus Urban Nickname MIST Affiliations Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP) Website http://www.mist.ac.bd
The Military Institute of Science and Technology or MIST is an engineering institute in Bangladesh. Currently it is under the affiliation of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), a university governed by the armed forces of Bangladesh. MIST and other 8 institutes are now under BUP.
There are five departments at MIST: Civil Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautical Engineering.
Establishment of a technical institution for Bangladesh Armed Forces had been a long desired need. It had been very strongly felt since 1980's in view of growing demand for technical personnel in military service. In the absence of such an institution in the Armed Forces, the military demand for technocrats was being supplemented by nomination of military officers to undergo graduation and post graduation courses at Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), former Bangladesh Institutes of Technology (BIT) and other foreign technical institutes. MIST came into existence on 19 April 1998. It throbbed into breathing when the academic programme was launched on 31 January 1999 with the maiden batch of Civil Engineering (CE). Though the pioneer batches comprised only military students (session 2001-2002), civil students (both male and female) were admitted to various disciplines from the session 2002-2003. At present most of the students are civil. MIST envisages to create facilities for military as well as civil students from home and abroad dedicated to pursue standard curriculum leading to graduation and post graduation degree. As an institution without any gender bias, MIST is already on steady stride upholding its motto "Technology for Advancement". The institute remains committed to contributing to the wider spectrum of national educational arena and plays a significant role in the development of human resources.
MIST is located at Mirpur Cantonment, on the northwest edge of Dhaka City.Mirpur Cantonment is well known to be as an 'Education Village' of Bangladesh Armed Forces, a hub of knowledge for military professionals. Prestigious institutions like National Defence College (NDC) and Defence Services Command and Staff College (DSCSC) are co-located in this cantonment. It's quiet and serene environment offers very congenial academic atmosphere in all the campuses. Its picturesque surrounding with lake, overhanging trees alive with chirping birds and green fields add splendor to the panoramic beauty of Mirpur Cantonment. Nature's bounty makes MIST an enchanting campus - ever endearing to the young.
Student's hall and teacher's quarters are at the last end of the campus. The academic buildings of MIST are on 40 acres (160,000 m2) of land. This area is confined with Officer's mess, four tower building (one is completed, known as Tower Building-1 and 2nd one is in under construction), cafeteria, library,two vast fields for the civil students, medical center, physical center and administrative buildings. Halls for students and teachers are situated outside the campus. Recently more land was issued for the campus for residential accommodation.
Aim of MIST
The aim of MIST is to conduct undergraduate and post graduate courses on various disciplines of engineering.
- To establish a prestigious academic institute for studies in different fields of engineering and technology for military personnel and civil officials/ students of home and abroad at degree and post graduate levels.
- To organize courses on military science, technology and management in various arenas of interest.
- To hold examinations and confer certificates of diplomas/degrees, other academic distinctions, to and on persons who have persuaded a course of study and have passed examinations conducted by the institute.
- To confer research degrees, award fellowship, scholarship, exhibition, prizes, medals and honorary degrees to persons who have carried out research works under conditions as prescribed in the MIST regulations.
- To establish teaching Divisions (Div), Departments (Dept), Centers, Faculties etc. and to make necessary arrangements for their maintenance/management/administration.
- To make provisions for advisory, research and consultation service including supervision, material testing and to enter into suitable agreement with any persons/organizations for this purpose.
- To co-operate with Universities/ Technical Institutions (both military and civil) including memoranda of understanding at home and abroad, in the manner and purpose as the institute may determine.
- To do such other acts, related to above-mentioned objectives, as may be required in order to expand the objectives of the institute.
All academic programs of MIST are affiliated with the Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP). All examinations are conducted as per the schedule approved by the same university. BUP also approves the results and awards certificates to the qualified students.
Procedure of admission
Undergraduate admission process at MIST has several steps. First, students are screened based on their GPA in HSC or equivalent examinations. Every year, 1,500-1,600 candidates are short-listed from approximately 10,000 applicants to sit for the admission test. Besides the admission test, SSC and HSC results are taken into consideration while evaluating candidates. Students who have passed in minimum five subjects in GCE O-Level and three subjects (Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry) in A-Level, obtaining minimum C-grades in all subjects are also eligible for the admission test. In 2008, MIST had an intake of 290 students in its five departments.
Foreign students may be admitted against a reserved quota of 3% of overall vacancies available (6% of civil seats). Vacancies will be offered to countries through Armed Forces Division (AFD), Prime Minister’s Office, of the Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh.
The Courses of MIST are as follows:
- To conduct under-graduate programs leading to B.Sc degrees in the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (CE).
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE).
- Electrical, Electronic & Communication Engineering (EECE).
- Mechanical Engineering (ME).
- Aeronautical Engineering (AE)
- To conduct programs in Management (Mgt) including BBA and MBA and in any other discipline as necessity arise.
- To conduct Post Graduate/ Masters Program whenever appropriate.
- To conduct diploma courses in Surveying & Mapping.
- To conduct diploma and certificate courses in Computer Science & Engineering.
- To conduct professional advanced courses.
MIST library has resourceful collection of 34,028 book (as of 2008), 1,000 CD-ROMs, and a good number of magazines, periodicals, journals and articles from home and abroad. The library gives access to online journals through INASP-PERI. The central library uses KOHA( open source software) as a part of Integrated Library Management System.It also subscribes a number of Bangla and English newspapers and periodicals. In addition to that each dept has its own library enriched with adequate text and reference books.There is also a cyber center for Internet browsing.
MIST has dorms for male and female students. There is also a Teacher's Quarter for the permanent teachers with families. Hostel administration is performed by the provost, one of the senior teachers from the five departments. Often the hall organizes many creative works and tournaments. The halls are:
Osmani Hall is an 8 storey building with female and male wings, each wing having a capacity of 260 students. There are 20 staff for each wing. Osmani Hall is known for the security of the students compared to the other hall in the country. Students get various modern facilities such as 24 hour electricity, internet service, gym, games and sports facilities.
MIST has two teacher's quarters named Polash [পলাশ] and Shapla(শাপলা).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.