- Silvio Micali
name = Silvio Micali
birth_date = 1954
birth_place = Palermo, Italy
Computer Science, Cryptography
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
University of California, Berkeley
known_for = Zero Knowledge Proof, Pseudoradom Functions
prizes = Gödel Prize
Silvio Micali (born
October 13 1954) is an Italian-born computer scientistat MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratoryand a professorof computer science in MIT's Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science since 1983. His research centers on the theory of cryptographyand information security. He received his Ph.D.from the University of California, Berkeleyin 1982. Micali won the Gödel Prizein 1993. In 2007, he was selected to be a member of the National Academy of Scienceand a Fellow of the IACR.He is chief scientist of CoreStreet and was co-founder (with Ron Rivest) of Peppercoin.
Micali is best known for having written some key definitional papers on
public-key cryptosystems, pseudorandom functions, digital signatures, and is one of the co-inventors of zero-knowledge proofs.
Michael J. Fischer, Silvio Micali, and Charles Rackoff. "A Secure Protocol for the Oblivious Transfer (Extended Abstract)." Journal of Cryptology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 191-195, 1996.
Oded Goldreich, Silvio Micali, and Avi Wigderson. "Proofs that Yield Nothing But Their Validity, or All Languages in NP have Zero-Knowledge Proof systems." Journal of the ACM vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 691-729, 1991.
Manuel Blum, Alfredo De Sants, Silvio Micali, and Giuseppe Persiano. "Noninteractive Zero-Knowledge". SIAM Journal on Computingvol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1084-1118, 1991.
Michael Ben-Or, Oded Goldreich, Silvio Micali, and Ronald L. Rivest. "A Fair Protocol for Signing Contracts". IEEE Transactions on Information Theoryvol. 36, no. 1, pp. 40-46, 1990.
Shafi Goldwasser, Silvio Micali, and Charles Rackoff. "The Knowledge Complexity of Interactive Proof Systems". SIAM Journal on Computingvol. 18, no. 1, pp. 186-208, 1989.
* Shafi Goldwasser, Silvio Micali, and Ronald L. Rivest. "A Digital Signature Scheme Secure Against Adaptive Chosen-Message Attacks."
SIAM Journal on Computingvol. 17, no. 2, pp. 281-308, 1988.
* Silvio Micali, Charles Rackoff, and
Bob Sloan. "The Notion of Security for Probabilistic Cryptosystems." SIAM Journal on Computingvol. 17, no. 2, pp. 412-426, 1988.
* Oded Goldreich, Silvio Micali, and Avi Wigderson. "How to Play any Mental Game, or A Completeness Theorem for Protocols with Honest Majority", Proceedings of STOC 1987, pp. 218-229, 1987.
* Shafi Goldwasser and Silvio Micali. "Probabilistic Encryption."
Journal of Computer and System Sciences, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 270-299, 1984.
* Manuel Blum and Silvio Micali. "How to Generate Cryptographically Strong Sequences of Pseudo-Random Bits."
SIAM Journal on Computingvol. 13, no. 4, pp. 850-864, 1984.
* [http://www.csail.mit.edu/biographies/PI/bioprint.php?PeopleID=36 Official biography]
* [http://www.cs.yale.edu/admin/micali.html Biographical sketch]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.