- Odessa, Delaware
Town of Odessa Town Country United States State Delaware County New Castle Elevation 59 ft (18 m) Coordinates Area 0.4 sq mi (1 km2) - land 0.4 sq mi (1 km2) - water 0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0% Population 364 (2010) Density 652.6 / sq mi (252 / km2) Timezone EST (UTC-5) - summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 19730 Area code 302 Website: www.odessade.com
Odessa is a town in New Castle County, Delaware, United States. The population was 364 at the 2010 census. Originally founded as Cantwell's Bridge in the 18th century, the name was changed in the 19th century, after the Ukrainian port city of the same name. Today a significant part of the town is a National Historic District.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2), of which, 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it is land and 2.22% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 286 people, 119 households, and 84 families residing in the town. The population density was 652.6 people per square mile (251.0/km²). There were 127 housing units at an average density of 289.8 per square mile (111.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 94.06% White, 5.24% African American, 0.35% Pacific Islander, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.05% of the population.
There were 119 households out of which 27.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.6% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.4% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the town the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 29.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 95.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $53,269, and the median income for a family was $55,938. Males had a median income of $31,875 versus $33,750 for females. The per capita income for the town was $27,662. None of the families and 3.2% of the population were living below the poverty line.
- ^ http://www.stateplanning.delaware.gov/census_data_center/
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- ^ DeLorme (2004). Maryland Delaware Atlas & Gazetteer. p.78. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-279-X.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Odessa, official website
- Parry, Albert (Spring 1944). "US towns named Odessa". Russian Review 3 (2): 36–40. doi:10.2307/125407. http://www.2odessa.com/wiki/index.php?title=US_towns_named_Odessa.
Municipalities and communities of New Castle County, Delaware Cities Towns Villages CDPs Unincorporated
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.