- Andy Irvine (rugby player)
Andrew Robertson "Andy" Irvine (born 16 September 1951) is a former President of the
Scottish Rugby Union(SRU), and a former Scottish international rugby player.
Irvine was born in
Edinburgh, on 16 September 1951 and was educated at George Heriot's Schoolin the city. From there he went on to Edinburgh University. After graduation he followed a career in chartered surveying and now is on leave from the Edinburgh property firm Jones Lang LaSalle while he is president of the SRU.
As fullback|short=yes for Nrut|Scotland, he won 51 caps, 1972-82. He also earned British Lions caps versus South Africa (1974), New Zealand (1977) and South Africa (1980). He also played for the BaaBaa's (
Barbarian F.C.) during their 1976 Easter Tour.
Irvine vies with
Gavin Hastingsfor the title of Scotland's greatest ever fullback, with incisive running at a blistering pace from the back his trade mark. In fact most polls over the last 20 years have voted Irvine Scotland's greatest player, and he is generally considered one of, if not, the best attacking full backs of the modern era. His presence in the line often distracted defenders even when he did not have possession. Irvine was a legendary player of genius and genuine world class who inspired his team mates. He is an inductee of the Scottish Sports Hall of Fameand the International Rugby Hall of Fame.
Irvine became president of the
Scottish Rugby Unionin 2005. He announced his readiness to stand for a second term at the end of March 2006.
He has appeared as a guest on
BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound radio programme to comment on international rugby games.
Was a speaker at the celebration of life of former Scotland and Lions team mate and long time friend
He has also coached rugby at
As President of the SRU Andy Irvine has been a party to closing the "Border Reivers", the professional club representing the region of Scotland which have provided the backbone to Scottish rugby for the last fifty years.
* [http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/rugby.cfm?id=501692006 Irvine to stand for second term at SRU] , The Scotsman, April 1, 2006
* [http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/rugby.cfm?id=492282005 Irvine ready to answer his country's call] - The Scotsman, 7 May 2005
* [http://sport.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=325&id=474072002 Andy Irvine] - tribute in the Scotsman newspaper.
* [http://www.sporting-heroes.net/rugby-heroes/displayhero.asp?HeroID=564 Andy Irvine - part 1] on Sporting Heroes
* [http://www.sporting-heroes.net/rugby-heroes/displayhero.asp?HeroID=565 Andy Irvine - part 2] on Sporting Heroes
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/36134000/rm/_36134927_irvine_15_vi.ram Irvine on video] - vintage Scottish rugby
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.