Videomusic was an italian music channel and one of the first music channels in Europe.Founded by Marialina Marcucci in early 1984, the channel used to be broadcast from a location called "Il Ciocco", near Castelvecchio Pascoli in the province of Lucca (Tuscany).It developed by spreading its terrestrial signal in most of the italian regions. Its brand became very popular among young people.
In 1988 its owners bought 90% of pan-european tv Super Channel, while remaining 10% was taken over by Virgin. During 1989 and 1990 Videomusic also produced some english-speaking music shows to be shown on Super Channel. Those shows were produced in Italy, and they were a bit dodgy for european viewers, whose habits were used to higher quality music shows from Music Box, a separate company, also broadcasting on Super Channel 'til the end of 1989.
Marcucci family sold Super Channel to american NBC in September 1993.
In 1992 the logo and graphic set of Videomusic have been changed with a new one.
In 1995 Videomusic was sold to
Vittorio Cecchi Gori, owner of italian channel TeleMonteCarlo. The following year Videomusic has been rebranded as TMC2 (TeleMonteCarlo 2) and its schedule saw the arrival of sport, news and movies, keeping music as its most important content and Videomusic logo during music programmes.
During 1997 the Videomusic logo disappeared, but music programmes started to become more and more important again. The intention of rebranding the channel again as Videomusic failed because Cecchi Gori sold it to Telecom, owners of 51% of MTV Italia, which closed it down forever in favour of a terrestrial retransmission of MTV Italia. The Videomusic library is now owned by MTV Italia.
* [http://digilander.libero.it/vmfansite/ Comprehensive Videomusic fansite]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.