- Convergence Technologies Professional
The Convergence Technologies Professional certification program, now known as CompTIA CTP+, is designed to ensure that all convergence workers have a proper foundation for using the technologies associated with Voice over IP. Individuals can take the CTP+ exam to demonstrate their knowledge of technologies and best practices including codecs, network planning, troubleshooting, and providing quality video and voice over data networks.
CTP+ is the official convergence certification for CompTIA, a non-profit organization that specializes in creating education standards for the entire IT industry. CompTIA has retired its Convergence+ exam in favor of CTP+. Additional companies that endorse and use CTP+ include Avaya, Mitel, Nortel, Toshiba, Iwatsu, and many others.
CCNT or Certified in Convergent Network Technologies is an introductory certification or precursor to CTP+. To obtain this industry accepted credential, an individual must pass six competency tests in the following disciplines:
- Basic Telecommunications – explores analog and digital concepts, and introduces telecommunications fundamentals such as networks, business communications systems, signaling, Internet telephony and switching.
- Basic Data Communications – builds a student's knowledge of related software and hardware. This module introduces the technology of network architecture, packet switching, fiber optics, data communication channels and data communication devices.
- Computer Telephone Integration (CTI) Essentials – introduces the dynamics of connecting a computer to a telephone system for routing calls through switches. This program also teaches the technology of applications, architecture and system development.
- Local Area Networks (LANs) – develops critical understanding of the concepts and technology of LAN topologies, information transfer, transmission techniques, media standards and network management.
- Broadband Technologies – discusses the need for transmitting multiple signal types simultaneously by way of divided channels, and then explores the technology of voice and data integration, frame relay, SONET, ATM/cell relay, SMDS, BISDN, DSL and VPN.
- Voice over IP (VoIP) Essentials – teaches the principles of transmitting voice calls and fax over the Internet, and explores VoIP networks, bandwidth compression, the gateway, packet prioritization, RSVP, H.320 and H.323, and WAN engineering issues.
- ^ Avaya endorses and implements CTP
- ^ Mitel endorses and implements CTP+
- ^ Nortel accepts CTP+ in place of its 803 exam
- ^ Toshiba announces endorsement of the CTP+ certification
- ^ Iwatsu supports the CTP+ certification
- Press release from CompTIA announcing CTP+
- Certification Magazine article about CTP
- SearchITChannel.com article quoting James Stanger, Chief Certification Architect for CTP
- Overview of the CTP certification on About.com
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.