- Ludo Martens
Ludo Martens (born
12 March, 1946) is a Belgian historian noted for his work on francophone Africaand the Soviet Union. He has also been the chairman of the Workers' Party of Belgium.
In 1968 he founded the
Maoistgroup "Alle macht aan de arbeiders" (All Power to the Workers), which in 1979 became the Workers' Party of Belgium.
Martens wrote on the political history of the
Democratic Republic of the Congo, where he has lived and travelled extensively.
In 1994, Martens published "
Another View of Stalin", a history of the Soviet Union under Stalin that challenges in particular the dominant view of collectivisation in the USSRand the Great Purge. He explained his motivation for writing the book in the introduction: "Defending Stalin's work, essentially defending Marxism-Leninism, is an important, urgent task in preparing ourselves for class struggle under the New World Order".
Martens writes primarily in French; however, his books, especially "Another View of Stalin", have been translated into Dutch, English, and numerous other languages. He is a leading Marxist theorist within the
anti-revisionistmovement, and is therefore perceived as a "Stalin apologist" by the dominant bourgeois intelligentsia.
In "Another View of Stalin", Martens regards as the main factor behind the Ukrain famine (
Holodomor) to be bad conditions and the class enemy. [http://www.plp.org/books/Stalin/node77.html#SECTION00800900000000000000] With regard to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's research Gulag Archipelago, Martens stated: "This man became the official voice for the five per cent of Tsarists, bourgeois, speculators, kulaks, pimps, maffiosi and Vlasovites, all justifiably repressed by the socialist state." [http://www.plp.org/books/Stalin/node118.html#SECTION001034400000000000000]
International Communist Movement, he is noted for having proposed the unification of the four main tendencies of the Marxist-Leninist movement. These are the pro-Soviet groups, the pro-Chinese, the pro- Albanian, and pro- Cuban. In addition there are "independents." Martens has put forward that while at a certain time these separations were important and based on principle, they can now be overcome and the movement can be united on the basis of Marxism-Leninism. In order to develop this unification process, the Workers Party of Belgium hosts the International Communist Seminarin Brussels, which is attended by 150 organizations around the world. According to Martens, "Today, as a result of the restoration of capitalism under Gorbachov, the "pro-Soviet" tendency crumbled into innumerable tendencies. In the sixties, a "pro-Chinese" tendency emerged but split into various tendencies after Mao's death. There has been a "pro-Albanian" tendency, which also split after the collapse of socialism in Albania, and a so-called "pro-Cuban" tendency, mainly in Latin America. Some parties, finally, maintained an "independent" position vis-a-vis the tendencies mentioned. Whatever one's opinion about the correctness or the necessity of these splits at a certain point in history may be, it is nowadays possible to overcome these divisions and to unite the Marxist-Leninist parties, which are divided in different currents." [http://www.wpb.be/icm/95enprop.htm]
Books authored by Ludo Martens
*" Pierre Mulele, ou, La seconde vie de Patrice Lumumba" (Antwerp: Éditions EPO, 1985). OCLC|23219832
*"Sankara, Compaoré, et la révolution burkinabé" (EPO, 1989). ISBN 2872620338.
*"Abo: une femme du Congo" (EPO, 1992). ISBN 2872621032.
*"L'U.R.S.S. et la contre-révolution de velours" (EPO, 1991). ISBN 2872620575.
*"Un autre regard sur Staline" (EPO, 1994). ISBN 2872620818.
*"Kabila et la révolution congolaise: panafricanisme ou néocolonialisme?" (EPO, 2002). ISBN 2872621911.
elected Articles by Ludo Martens
* [http://www.wpb.be/doc/doc/collaps1.htm Balance of the Collapse of the Soviet Union: On the causes of a betrayal and the tasks ahead for communists]
* [http://www.wpb.be/doc/doc/breznjev.htm Breznjev and the National Democratic Revolution]
* [http://www.wpb.be/icm/2005/selected_reading_list/Dir95_India_Seminary_LudoM_1995_EN.doc On Certain Aspects of the Struggle Against Revisionism (.doc)]
* [http://www.ptb.be/scripts/article.phtml?section=A3AAABBU&obid=10788 Counter-Revolution and Revolution in the XXIst Century]
* [http://www.wpb.be/icm/95enprop.htm Proposals for the Unification of the International Communist Movement]
* [http://www.ptb.be/scripts/livret.phtml?section=A3AAAE&obid=22372&lang=3&PHPSESSID=bb7800081082781aa74890be3e6159f5 The Road of the World Revolution in XXIst Century]
* [http://www.plp.org/books/Stalin/book.html "Another View of Stalin"] . A part of the text of the book in English.
* [http://comradezero.blogspot.com/2006/03/socialism-or-barbarism-review-of.html Review of "Another View of Stalin"] at "The Marxist-Leninist".
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.