- Lawyer referral service
A lawyer referral service is typically offered by state and local
bar associationsas a public service. The purpose of a lawyer referral service is to increase access to justice by referring members of the general public to lawyersin private practice or to legal aidorganizations or agencies.
A potential client who contacts a lawyer referral service is directed to a lawyer who practices in the area of law that is most appropriate for their situation. If a client is unable to afford a lawyer and the legal problem is not a matter that can be handled by a lawyer on a percentage fee basis, the client is directed to a legal aid organization for help.
Generally, a lawyer referral service sets minimum qualification standards for lawyers who list with the service to receive referrals. Referral service administrators use a rotation method to ensure that all lawyers have a fair chance of receiving referrals. The initial cost to the potential client is usually modest. In many cases, there is a maximum fee set by the bar association for the initial consultation with the lawyer.
Referral services refer to lawyers in most areas of law, including but not limited to criminal law, family law, real estate law, personal injury, estate planning and administration, employment law and insurance law.
* [http://www.1000attorneys.com/ 1000Attorneys.com California Bar Certified Lawyer Referral Service] - This site provides unbiased lawyer referrals in various areas of the law.
* [http://www.mainebar.org/lawyer_need.asp/ Maine State Bar Association Lawyer Referral & Information Service] - This site provides referrals to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice in the state of Maine.
* [http://www.bostonbar.org/lrs/ Boston Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service] - Provides access to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice throughout Massachusetts.
* [http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/ ABA Lawyer Referral Directory] The
American Bar Associationcompiled this national directory of lawyer referral services. Includes links to lawyer referral service websites.
* [http://www.philadelphiabarlawyers.com Philadelphia Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service] - Operated by the Philadelphia Bar Association. The site provides referrals to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice in the Philadelphia area.
* [http://www.austinlrs.com/ Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas] - A non-profit public service organization that refers about 12,000 callers to qualified Central Texas attorneys each year.
* [http://www.southbaybar.org/v1/lawyer-referral-service.aspx?s=find-a-lawyer Lawyer Referral Service of the South Bay Bar Association] - Provides access to qualified attorneys in all areas of legal practice in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles, California.
* [http://www.nycla.org/index.cfm?section=pro_bono&page=Legal_Referral New York County Lawyers Association] - Provides access to pro bono (free) initial consultations in New York State
* [http://www.legal500.com/index.php Legal 500] - a worldwide resource advertising lawyers with various specialisms
* [http://www.representyou.com RepresentYou.com] - a "for-profit" lawyer referral service (California only)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.