1816 in the United Kingdom
- 1816 in the United Kingdom
Events from the year 1816 in the United Kingdom.
*Monarch - George III of the United Kingdom
*Prime Minister - Robert Jenkinson, 2nd Earl of Liverpool, Tory
* 9 January - Sir Humphry Davy tested the Davy lamp for Miners at Hebburn Colliery.
* 27 August - Britain and the Netherlands bombard Algiers in an attempt to suppress slavery by the North African Barbary states.
* 2 December - Spa Fields riots: a mass meeting of conspirators dispersed by the police.
[cite book|last=Williams|first=Hywel|title=Cassell's Chronology of World History|publisher=Weidenfeld & Nicolson|year=2005|isbn=0-304-35730-8|pages=365–366] ]
* The British found Banjul, The Gambia.
* A British expedition explores up from the mouth of the Congo River.
* Beau Brummell flees England to escape gambling debts.
* Completion of the Leeds to Liverpool canal.
[cite book |last=Palmer |first=Alan & Veronica |year=1992 |title= The Chronology of British History|publisher= Century Ltd|location=London|pages= 248|isbn= 0-7126-5616-2] ]
*"Emma", novel by Jane Austen.
*"Kubla Khan", poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
*"On First Looking into Chapman's Homer", sonnet by John Keats.
*"The Antiquary", "The Black Dwarf" and "Old Mortality", novels by Walter Scott.
* 21 April - Charlotte Brontë, novelist (d. 1855)
* 30 June - Richard Lindon, inventor (d. 1887)
* 16 August - Charles John Vaughan, scholar (d. 1897)
* 27 January - Samuel Hood, 1st Viscount Hood, admiral (b. 1724)
* 22 February - Adam Ferguson, philosopher and historian (b. 1723)
* 5 July - Dorothy Jordan, Irish actress, mistress of King William IV of the United Kingdom (b. 1761)
* 7 July - Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Irish playwright (b. 1751)
* 15 December - Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl Stanhope, statesman and scientist (b. 1753)
Look at other dictionaries:
Taxation in the United Kingdom — This article is part of the series: Politics and government of the United Kingdom Central government HM Treasury HM Revenue and Customs … Wikipedia
Peerage of the United Kingdom — Die Peerage of the United Kingdom umfasst alle Peer Würden, die im Königreich Großbritannien nach dem Act of Union 1800 geschaffen wurden. Die Peerage of the United Kingdom ersetzte somit die Peerage of Great Britain. In der Peerage of Ireland… … Deutsch Wikipedia
1897 in the United Kingdom — Events from the year 1897 in the United Kingdom.Incumbents*Monarch Victoria of the United Kingdom *Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, ConservativeEvents* 29 March Church of England encyclical replies to the recent… … Wikipedia
1855 in the United Kingdom — Events from the year 1855 in the United Kingdom.Incumbents* Monarch Victoria of the United Kingdom * Prime Minister George Hamilton Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, Peelite (until 30 January), Henry Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, LiberalEvents* 29 … Wikipedia
1887 in the United Kingdom — Events from the year 1887 in the United Kingdom.Incumbents*Monarch Victoria of the United Kingdom *Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, ConservativeEvents* 28 March Irish Crimes Act suspends trial by jury in… … Wikipedia
Military history of the United Kingdom — The military history of the United Kingdom covers the period from the creation of the united Kingdom of Great Britain in 1707, with the political union of England and Scotland, to the present day. From the 18th century, with the expansion of… … Wikipedia
List of Ambassadors from the United Kingdom to the Netherlands — The Ambassador from the United Kingdom to the Netherlands is the United Kingdom s foremost diplomatic representative in the Netherlands, and in charge of the UK s diplomatic mission in the Netherlands. The official title is Her Britannic Majesty… … Wikipedia
List of Acts of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, 1801–1819 — UK Legislation Acts of Parliament by states preceding the United Kingdom Of the Kingdom of England Before 1485 1485–1601 · 1603–1641 Interregnum (1642–1660) 1660–1699 · 1700–1706 … Wikipedia
Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom — of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Versions … Wikipedia
George IV of the United Kingdom — Infobox British Royalty|majesty name =George IV title =King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; King of Hanover imgw =225 caption =Portrait by Sir Thomas Lawrence, 1816 reign =29 January 1820 – 26 June 1830 coronation =19 July… … Wikipedia