- David Brearley High School
David Brearley High School Location 401 Monroe Avenue
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
Information Type Public high school School district Kenilworth Public Schools Principal Brian Luciani Asst. Principal Ronald J. Bubnowski Faculty 54.5 (on FTE basis) Grades 9 - 12 Enrollment 700 (as of 2008-09) Student to teacher ratio 12.8 Athletics conference Mountain Valley Conference Website School website
David Brearley High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from Kenilworth in Union County, New Jersey, United States, as part of the Kenilworth Public Schools. The school is named for David Brearley, a signer of the United States Constitution.
The district participates in the Interdistrict Public School Choice Program at David Brearley High School, having been approved on November 2, 1999, as one of the first ten districts statewide to participate in the program. The school system participates in New Jersey's Interdistrict Public School Choice Program at the David Brearley Middle / High School in grades 7-10. Each school year, slots are made available for seventh through tenth grades. Prospective Choice participants must be residents of Union County eligible for placement in grades 7-10 who were enrolled in a public school during the full year prior to entry to the Kenilworth Public Schools. Seats in the program for non-resident students are specified by the district and are allocated by lottery (if there are more applicants than available slots), with tuition paid for participating students by the New Jersey Department of Education.
The school was the 113th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 322 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2010 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 178th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 162nd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Curriculum and programs
In 2001, students from David Brearley High School and Hillside High School collaborated to develop literary and art projects about bigotry presented at an exhibit, "Making Connections: Two Culturally Diverse Schools Address Prejudice and Hatred by Studying the Holocaust Together." The exhibit was presented at Kean University, and was viewed together with local Holocaust survivors and concentration camp liberators.
David Brealey Wrestling, operated in combination with Jonathan Dayton High School, won the 2011 Group 2 State Championship at the Poland Spring Center in Toms River on February 13, 2011.
David Brearley High School competes in the Mountain Valley Conference, a New Jersey high school sports association under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). The conference consists of twenty public and parochial high schools covering Union County and Essex County in northern New Jersey.
The wrestling team, operated in combination with Jonathan Dayton High School, won the 2006 and 2007 Central Jersey Group I Sectional Title defeating Roselle Park High School 46-10. The team was a finalist in the Group I state championship before losing to Paulsboro High School at the Ritacco Center in Toms River. In 2008, the wrestling team defeated South Plainfield High School for the North 2 Group 2 Sectional Title. They were defeated by Long Branch High School by a score of 30-27 in the Group 2 state final.
The 2003 soccer team, led by coach Vince McGowan, advanced to the Group 1 State Sectional Finals. New Providence High School defeated Brearley in the final, 1-0. They made it to the NJSIAA Central Jersey, Group 1 sectional finals again in 2008 and 2009, but lost both times, to South River High School (New Jersey) and Metuchen High School, respectively.
The Boys baseball team won the 2009 Central Group I NJSIAA State Sectional Title, advancing to the Group I tournament where they defeated Gateway Regional High School 6–2 in the semi-final round before losing by a score of 4–2 to Park Ridge High School in the championship game.
The girls competition cheerleading team won the Group I NJCDCA State Championship title in the years 2006, 2007, and 2008. 
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Brian Luciani, Principal
- Ronald J. Bubnowski, Vice Principal
- Tony Siragusa (born 1967), Indianapolis Colts and Baltimore Ravens defensive tackle, and 'on-the-field' reporter for FOX NFL, was born and raised in Kenilworth and starred in football and wrestling for David Brearley High School.
- ^ a b c d David Brearley High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 22, 2011.
- ^ Interdistrict Public School Choice Program: Approved Choice Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 19, 2008.
- ^ Interdistrict Public School Choice Program: Kenilworth Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 6, 2006.
- ^ "School choice eases student shortage; State program boosts enrollment at Kenilworth's David Brearley high.", The Star-Ledger, April 23, 2000, p. 33.
- ^ Interdistrict Public School Choice Program: Introduction, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 19, 2008.
- ^ David Brearly High School, 2006 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed January 29, 208. "David Brearley Middle/High School is home to students in grades 7-12 from Kenilworth, and has a send-receive relationship for 50 high school students from Winfield Township."
- ^ Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 22, 2011.
- ^ "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- ^ "Two-school project fights prejudice; Kenilworth, Hillside art and computer classes team up.", The Star-Ledger, June 7, 2001
- ^ 2006 Football Tournament - North II, Group I, NJSIAA, December 10, 2006
- ^ 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - Central, Group I, NJSIAA. Accessed July 24, 2007.
- ^ 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - Group I Championship, NJSIAA. Accessed July 24, 2007.
- ^ Staff. "NJSIAA Wrestling Team Tournament results", Home News Tribune, February 18, 2008. Accessed February 22, 2011.
- ^ http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=49767&tclass=NJSIAA
- ^ http://www.nj.com/cranford/index.ssf/2008/11/just_out_of_reach_brearley_boy.html
- ^ http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/2448110161666289128/metuchen-2-brearley-0-high-school-boys-soccer-scores-and-results
- ^ 2009 Baseball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 25, 2009.
- ^ , New Jersey Cheerleading and Dance Coaches Association/ Accessed February 7, 2010.
- ^ DBHS Staff, Kenilworth Public Schools. Accessed February 22, 2011.
- ^ Profile for Tony Siragusa, database Football. Accessed November 9, 2006.
- David Brearley High School
- Kenilworth Public Schools
- Kenilworth Public Schools's 2009–10 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Kenilworth Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
Mountain Valley Conference (NJSIAA) Mountain Division Valley Division
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.