- The Street Lawyer
name = The Street Lawyer
language = English
publisher = Doubleday
pages = 448
isbn = 0-385-49099-2
"The Street Lawyer" is a legal/suspense novel, the ninth such work written by American author
John Grisham. The hardcover first edition was published by Doubleday in 1998(ISBN 0-385-49099-2). Dell Publishingprinted the paperback edition in 1999(ISBN 0-440-22570-1).
The Street Lawyer
The book begins on the streets of D.C., when the life of Michael Brock, a high-priced
antitrustlawyer is turned upside down when a homeless man walks into his office at Drake & Sweeney, a large law firm. The man, DeVon Hardy, is angry because the firm evicted him from his home, along with some other squatters.
After a near-life threatening incident inside the halls of Drake and Sweeney and with his marriage breaking up; Brock begins to re-evaluate his priorities. He decides that he can no longer work for the firm. In the process, he gets acquainted with life on the inner-city streets of D.C.
He joins a firm, the 14th Street Legal Clinic, which helps the Homeless; including people that have been evicted by the law firm that he once worked for.
* "Mister" - homeless "street bum" who holds hostages at Drake & Sweeney; later revealed as DeVon Hardy
* Michael Brock - the protagonist; wealthy lawyer at the firm Drake & Sweeney
* Mordecai Green - street lawyer; advocate for the homeless
* Claire Brock - wife of Michael Brock; aspiring neurosurgeon
* Arthur Jacobs - senior partner at Drake & Sweeney
* Barry Nuzzo - long-time associate lawyer with Drake & Sweeney
* Braden Chance - partner, real estate lawyer at Drake & Sweeney
* Hector Palma - paralegal for Braden Chance
* Lontae Burton - homeless woman, with four children: Ontario, Alonzo, Dante, and Kale
* Abraham Lebow - street lawyer; associate of Mordecai Green
* Sofia Mendoza - social worker; associate of Mordecai Green and Abraham Lebow
* Tillman Gantry - former pimp, small-time hustler, and twice convicted felon.
* Ruby - Homeless woman addicted to crack, Michael is trying to help her.
* Megan - Michael's later love interest, works at the women's homeless shelter
Unsold television pilot
2003, plans were announced, and a television pilotfilmed, for a proposed small screen adaptation of the novel. Produced by Touchstone Television, the show was to star Eddie Cibrianas Michael Brock, KaDee Strickland, Mario Van Peeblesand Hal Holbrook. Paris Barclaydirected the pilot, which was scripted by Brian Koppelmanand David Levien. However, for reasons unknown, the show was never given a full season pick-up.
* [http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/showatch.cgi?id=street_lawyer&view=archive Street Lawyer, The (ABC)] . "The Futon Critic". Retrieved June 12, 2005. (television pilot)
* [http://www.randomhouse.com/features/grisham/books/streetlawyer/ Grisham's official site]
* [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362375/ IMDB entry for "The Street Lawyer"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.