- Nevada State Railroad Museum
The Nevada State Railroad Museum, located in Carson City, Nevada, preserves the railroad heritage of Nevada, including locomotives and cars of the famous Virginia and Truckee Railroad. Much of the museum equipment was obtained from Hollywood studios, where they were often featured in movies and television. The museum is operated by the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs.
Museum activities consist of operation of historic railroad equipment, including train rides, handcar rides, lectures, an annual railroad history symposium, changing exhibits, and a variety of special events. The Museum also has an ongoing research and restoration program. The Museum's most recent event is the rebuilding of the interpitation center and posibably the HO scale model railroad operated by the Carson Model Railroaders who operate to Mills Park Railroad.
The historic station from Wabuska, Nevada was relocated to the museum grounds. The building is, in essence, still used as a working railroad station where tickets for the museum train rides are purchased.
- Nevada State Railroad Museum R.R. 4-4-0 #8 [ex-Dardenelle & Russellville RR No.8, ex-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, ex-Virginia & Truckee No. 28, nee-Short Line Enterprises No.8; out of service, tender currently on No. 25]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-4-0 No.18 The Dayton [builder: Sacramento, California Shops of Central Pacific Railroad; static restored display, non-operable]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-4-0 No. 22 The Inyo [builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works; operable on limited special occasions]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. 4-6-0 No.25 [builder, Baldwin; operable, currently using No. 8's tender]
- Virginia & Truckee R.R. McKeen Motor Car No.22 [builder: McKeen Motor Car Company, 1910; operational as of 05/09/2010]
- Tucson, Cornelia & Gila Bend R.R. No.401 Passenger Motor Car, [builder: Edwards Motor Car Company; operable]
- Carson & Tahoe Lumber & Fluming 2-6-0 The Glenbrook [builder: Baldwin; undergoing major restoration ]
The Nevada State Railroad Museum also operates the Nevada Southern Railroad Museum in Boulder City, Nevada.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.