- Alfred Jeremias
Alfred Karl Gabriel Jeremias (1864–1935) was a German Assyriologist and an expert on the
religions of the Ancient Near East.
In 1891 he published the first German translation of the
Epic of Gilgamesh. From 1890 until his death he was pastor of the Lutheran congregation in Leipzig, and from 1922 he was also professor at Leipzig University. He received honorary degrees in 1905 from Leipzig and in 1914 from the University of Groningen.
He was one of the prominent advocates of
Panbabylonism, explaining the origins of the Hebrew Biblein terms of Babylonian mythology.
* Das Alte Testament im Lichte des Alten Orients, Leipzig, 4th ed. 1930
* Handbuch der altorientalischen Geisteskultur, Berlin, 2nd ed. 1929
* E. Weidner, Archiv für Orientforschung Bd. 10 (1935/36), S. 195f.
* W. Baumgartner, Zeitschrift für Assyriologie Bd. 43 (1936), S. 299-301.
* [http://www.bbkl.de/j/Jeremias_a.shtml BBKL] (Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon, ed. T. Bautz)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.