- South Hedland, Western Australia
Infobox Australian Place | type = town
name = South Hedland
lga = Town of Port Hedland
est = 1970s
postcode = 6722
pop = 7,834 (2006)
dist1 = 1632 | location1 = Perth
dist2 = 18 | location2 = Port Hedland
state = wa
maxtemp = 33.2
mintemp = 19.3
rainfall = 313.5
elevation = 7coord|-20.400|118.611|type:city(7834)_region:AU-WA_scale:30000|format=dms|display=title
South Hedland is a major suburb of the
Town of Port Hedland, in the Pilbararegion in northwestern Western Australia. It can be reached by the North West Coastal Highwayand Great Northern Highway.
South Hedland was built due to a shortage of land in neighbouring Port Hedland above cyclonic storm surge levels adjacent to the original town site. Wilson Street, the main road into
Port Hedland, can still be cut off by floods when heavy rain coincides with storm surge. The planners aimed to design a town where it would be easier to walk than drive, and which had the potential to grow to 40,000 residents. Unfortunately the heat experienced in the town during summer meant few wanted to walk, and driving was difficult as the majority of the pro-walking planning involved creating dead-end streets. Over the last twenty years the town of Port Hedland council has worked to overcome this problem by joining streets and opening up access as well as selling off the laneways in an effort to reduce crime. The bulk of South Hedland's residents work at the port or in the iron oreprocessing industry.
* "Town Centre", ultimately to be bounded by Forrest Circle, contains the shopping centre, aquatic centre, health centre, post office and government agency offices. To the north is Hedland College of
TAFEand Sports Complex.
* "Lawson" contains a community centre, Hedland Senior High School (1971), South Hedland primary school (1972) and sports facilities.
* "Cassia" contains two daycare centres, and Cassia primary school (1981). Many of the street names are botanical in origin.
* "Shellborough" contains Baler Primary School (1975) and an Islamic mosque.
* "Walnut Grove" contains sports facilities and a Police and Citizens' Youth Club.
* "Koombana" is the newest and southern most suburb which was not built to the same specifications as the earlier parts of South Hedland and from the air does not display the cell structure that can be seen in the others.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.