- Binary clock
A binary clock is a
clockwhich displays traditional sexagesimal timein a binary format. Originally, it showed "each decimal digit" of sexagesimal time as a binary value, but presently true binary clocks also exist. Most binary clocks are digital, although analog varieties exist.
Binary-coded decimal clocks
2008, the most common binary clocks sold are designed by Anelace Inc., and uses six columns of LEDs to represent zeros and ones. Each column represents a single decimal digit, a format known as binary-coded decimal(BCD). The bottom row in each column represents 1 (or 20), with each row above representing higher powers of two, up to 23 (or 8). To read each individual digit in the time, the user adds the values that each illuminated LED represents, then reads these from left to right. The first two columns represent the hour, the next two represent the minuteand the last two represent the second. Since zero digits are not illuminated, this clock is not usable in the dark.
To read a BCD clock add the values of each column of LEDs to get six
decimaldigits. This gives two decimal digits each for hours, minutes, and seconds.
The latest version of the Anelace Inc. binary clock can also use just true binary to give the time (one number each for hours, minutes, and seconds) rather than six numbers for the decimal digits of the time units. Numbers are then displayed horizontally:
The above display uses three binary number columns, one for each of the units (hours, minutes and seconds) of the conventional time system.
* [http://www.pygame.org/project/793/?release_id=1366 pyBCD] , a desktop binary clock created in Python. Works in Windows, *nix/Linux and Macintosh.
* [http://binaryclock.googletoad.com/ Online Binary Clock]
* [http://www.gimpfaq.org/tutorials/binclock/ How To Build A Binary Clock]
* [http://www.silliam.com/bclock Digital Binary Clock]
* [http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Misc/AnalogBinaryClock Analog Binary Clock]
* [http://www.getjar.com/products/16432/BinaryClock Mobile Binary Clock] - A binary clock for your Java enabled phone.
* [http://www.innovatoys.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/popup/BCLOCK-L1f.html Real Time Flash Binary Clock]
* [http://www.glassgiant.com/geek/binaryclock/ Flash binary clock]
* [http://logic-dust.blogspot.com/2006/12/binary-clock.html True binary clock]
* [http://www.abulsme.com/binarytime/ True Binary Time] - the sixteen bit day: showing the time as a fractional part of the day
* [http://binary.onlineclock.net/ Binary Alarm Clock]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.