- Chittagong Collegiate School
The headmaster of the school is Mohammad Aziz Uddin.
Chittagong Collegiate School was established as Chittagong Government School in 1836. The school was the first English medium high school in Chittagong. Its classes were held in a brick building constructed during the early years of British rule . The school was then shifted to a new location at the southern section of the Markot Sahib Hills. In 1886, the school was relocated to its present location at Ice Factory Road, North Nalapara, near the Chittagong Railway Station, and was named as Chittagong Collegiate School. Until the first decade of the twentieth century, the school was popularly known as the Entrance School.
In 2008 the Government renamed the school "Chittagong Collegiate School & College"
The school has a dormitory for the residential students and has a residential area for the teachers. The school campus is considered to be one of the largest campuses in Bangladesh. It has a playground which is one of the largest among Bangladeshi schools. It also has a Mosque.
The school offers its students vocational education as well as academic qualifications. It has one of the largest vocational education workshop in the country.
The school is also undertaking the development of its sports facilities which includes a swimming pool within the school campus. The school field which was filled with sand has been made a grassy playground.
The school had the highest number students who achieved GPA 5 in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and in 2008.
The school offers teaching in two shifts over six days a week to its over 2000 students in its 21 classrooms. The school also has a library, a computer lab, two science labs, three halls and one auditorium.
The School achieved country's Best School Award in 1992.
- Dr.Muhammad Yunus: Nobel peace prize winner in 2006 for his contribution on poverty alleviation of the ultra poor, Nobel laureate, Founder of Grameen Bank and the Microcredit theory of Economics
- Dr.Abdullah Al Moti Sarfuddin: scientist
- Dr.Humayun Ahmed: novelist, film director, teacher
- Dr.Muhammed Zafar Iqbal: science-fiction novelist, columnist, computer scientist, educator
- Dr.Jamal Nazrul Islam: scientist and professor of physics and mathematics in Chittagong University.
- Abul Hayat: actor with appearances on television
- Engr. Mosharraf Hossain: politician and businessman
- Nabinchandra Sen: poet
- Minhajul Abedin Nannu:former cricketer, Bangladesh Cricket Team
Celebration of 175 years
Established in 1836, Chittagong Collegiate School will celebrate it's 175 years in 2011. Calls for a ceremony is being generated by many ex-students in the websites like Facebook(see External links)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.