- Alajuela Province
Alajuela is a province of
Costa Rica. It is located in the north-central part of the country, bordering Nicaraguato the north, and clockwise the provinces Heredia, San José, Puntarenas and Guanacaste. The capital is Alajuela. The province covers an area of 9,757.53 km² (1), and has a population of 767,143 (2). It is subdivided into 15 cantons.
Home of Santamaría
Alajuela is famous as the home of the Costa Rican national hero
Juan Santamaría. Santamaría (nicknamed "El Erizo" (The Hedgehog) was a peasant boy who became the national hero during the Campaign of 1856-1857when Costa Ricadefeated the army of the North-American filibusterer William Walker.
Alajuela is the home of one of Costa Rica's two most successful football clubs,
Liga Deportiva Alajuelense.
(1) Instituto Geográfico Nacional (IGN), 2001.
(2) Estimates of Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Censos (INEC), May 2003.
* [http://www.ticovista.com/info-facts/alajuela/weather/ Weather in Alajuela, Costa Rica]
* [http://www.costaricaiswaitingforyou.com/eng/7020.htm Alajuela in Pictures]
* [http://www.trycostarica.com/index.php?temp=alajuela.tpl/ Alajuela Costa Rica]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.