20th century in the United States
- 20th century in the United States
The '20th century in United States history' refers to the period in the United States from 1901 through 2000 in the Gregorian calendar.
The 20th century is known as the American Century on account of the United States' emergence as the sole superpower during the course of the century.
* World War I
* Populism and progressivism were political movements that reached its height in early 20th-century America, as reformers sought to correct problems that arose in the rapidly industrializing society, such as child labor, environmental concerns and the expansion of monopolies and trusts. Some tactics used to combat these issues included the founding of Settlement houses like Jane Addams' Hull House in Chicago, using referendums and direct election of politicians to further strengthen the voice of an average American, and the organizing the labor forces into trade unions
* The Great Depression
* 1939-1945: World War II
* Beginning of the The Cold War, a tense militaristic standoff between the United States and the Soviet Union, the two remaining superpowers after WWII, that lasted until the end of the century.
* The Space Race
* The Civil Rights Movement
* The Vietnam War
* Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th President of the United States
* Woodrow Wilson, the 28th President of the United States
* Franklin D. Roosevelt, the 32nd President of the United States
Inventions, discoveries, introductions
The computer and the internet.
Decades and years
Look at other dictionaries:
19th century in the United States — centurybox US cpa=18 cpb=th century c=19th century cn1=20th century The 19th century in United States history refers to the period in the United States from 1801 through 1900 in the Gregorian calendar. EventsEarly 19th century (1801… … Wikipedia
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: The Best of Boyz II Men — 20th Century Masters The Millennium Collection: The Best of Boyz II Men … Википедия
United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America — Infobox Christian denomination name = United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America imagewidth = caption = main classification = Protestant orientation = Mainline polity = Presbyterian founder = founded date = 1958 founded place =… … Wikipedia
The Norwegian Lutheran Church in the United States — Norwegian Lutheran Church in Irwin, Iowa, in 1941. Lutheranism … Wikipedia
Foreign policy of the United States — United States This article is part of the series: Politics and government of the United States … Wikipedia
Dog fighting in the United States — Gang members dog fighting in a vacant office building Dog fighting in the United States is an illegal activity in which fights between two game dogs are staged as a form of entertainment and gambling. Such activity has existed since the early… … Wikipedia
Music history of the United States — United States music history History of the United States … Wikipedia
Taxation history of the United States — The history of taxation in the United States began when it was composed of colonies ruled by the British Empire, French Empire, and Spanish Empire. After independence from Europe the United States collected poll taxes, tariffs, and excise taxes.… … Wikipedia
Voting rights in the United States — The issue of voting rights in the United States has been contentious over the country s history. Eligibility to vote in the U.S. is determined by both Federal and state law. Currently, only citizens can vote in U.S. elections (although this has… … Wikipedia
Health insurance in the United States — The term health insurance is commonly used in the United States to describe any program that helps pay for medical expenses, whether through privately purchased insurance, social insurance or a non insurance social welfare program funded by the… … Wikipedia