- Al Green (politician)
name = Al Green
date of birth = birth date and age|1947|09|01
place of birth =
New Orleans, Louisiana
district = 9th
January 3, 2005
succeeded = Incumbent
party = Democratic
Tuskegee Institute, Texas Southern University
Early life and career
Green was born in
New Orleans, Louisiana. He attended Florida A&M Universityand tranfered to the Tuskegee Institute of Technology, from which he earned a bachelor's degree. He later went on to receive his Juris Doctorin 1974 from Texas Southern University. Green was later elected as Justice of the Peacein Harris County, Texasin the Precinct 7, Place Two position prior to running for the U.S. Congress. He held this Justice of Peace position for 26 years.
Green is a former trial lawyer. After college, he co-founded the firm of Green, Wilson, Dewberry, and Fitch. He also served as president of the Houston
NAACP, and during his term as the organization's leader, membership increased sevenfold. While serving as NAACP leader, he focused on increasing minority hiring in Texas and formed alliances with Hispanic groups.
Green defeated Congressman Chris Bell, a perceived rising star in the party, in the 2006 Democratic primary. Redistricting, which threw many white urban Democrats from Bell's district in with a Republican-dominated suburban precindct and combined Bell's district with a majority black area, later triggered ethics complaint against
House Majority Leader Tom DeLay.
Green won the Democratic primary for District 9 in Houston on
March 9, 2004, a district that is largely Democratic with 37 percent of its population African Americanand 31 percent Hispanic. He was later victorious over Republican Arlette Molina.
While in Congress, Green has focused on issues similar to those that he worked for while with the NAACP. Fair housing and hiring practices for the poor and minorities are some of his greatest concerns.
* [http://www.house.gov/algreen/ U.S. Congressman Al Green] official House site
* [http://herndon1.sdrdc.com/cgi-bin/can_detail/H4TX09095 Federal Election Commission — Alexander Green] campaign finance reports and data
* [http://www.ontheissues.org/TX/Al_Green.htm On the Issues — Al Green] issue positions and quotes
* [http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?CID=N00026686 OpenSecrets.org — Al Green] campaign contributions
* [http://www.vote-smart.org/bio.php?can_id=MTX50928 Project Vote Smart — Representative Al Green (TX)] profile
* [http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/g000553/ Washington Post — Congress Votes Database: Al Green] voting record
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.