:"For the village, see
Poma, Bangladesh."Poma or Pomagalski SA is an international corporation, headquartered in France, which builds passenger conveyances using cable systems, including fixed and detachable aerial chairlifts, gondolas, funiculars, aerial tramways and surface lifts. Poma has installed more than six thousand systems in fifty-four countries which transport eight million passengers each hour. [cite web
url = http://www.poma.net/
title = Poma group website
accessdate = 2006-09-17 ]
While the term Poma lift technically refers to any Poma installation, it is mostly commonly used as a nostalgic term for a
platter liftor T-bar, as it was the company's first and most popular system.
The majority of Poma systems are in
ski areas, but can also be found at amusement parks and in scenic locations as skyrides and peoplemovers.
It mainly operates in
The founder, Jean Pomagalski, of Polish descendants, began building ski lifts in 1935. The first systems used detachable technology in a surface lift.
In 1953, Pomalift Inc. established itself in the U.S. In 1958, they built their first chairlift in the U.S., followed in 1960 with chairlifts at
Squaw Valleyfor the Winter Olympics. In 1981 they established manufacturing capability in Grand Junction, Coloradoat their North American headquarters.
They build the first detachable quad chairlift in 1981, installed at
Sept Laux, France(in the Dauphiné Alps).
In 1984, Poma installed the world's highest gondola lift towers at 358 ft (109 m) for the
Mississippi Aerial River Transitacross the Mississippi River, in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Poma is one of only a few remaining lift manufacturers in North America. With the recent demise of
Ribletand Lift Engineering(popularly known as "Yan"), their only major competitor is Doppelmayr CTEC. Poma's market share has recently been decreasing. Poma currently holds about 40% of this market, while Doppelmayr holds the other 60%. [cite web
url = http://www.skilifts.org/install_na2006.htm
title = Ski Area Management Magazine 2006 Lift Construction Survey
accessdate = 2007-04-19 ] Poma merged with Leitner in 2002 to form Leitner-Poma of America.
Some famous Poma lifts include the
Silver Queen Gondolain Aspen, Colorado, the Mount Roberts Tramwayin Juneau, Alaska, The Village Gondola in Whistler-Blackcombin British Columbia, Canadaand the third generation Magic Mileat Timberline Lodge ski areaon Mount Hood, Oregon.
List of aerial lift manufacturers
Telemix, a type of hybrid lift developed by Poma
* [http://www.poma.net/ Poma website]
* [http://www.leitner-poma.com/ Leitner-Poma of America website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.