- Atlas Copco
company_name = Atlas Copco
company_type = Public (OMX|SSE45|ATCO A,
key_people = Sune Carlsson (Chairman of the board), Gunnar Brock (President and CEO)
industry = Manufacturing
products = Compressors and generators, construction and mining equipment, industrial tools and assembly systems
revenue = SEK 63,355 million (2007)cite web |url=http://www.atlascopco.com/us/Images/Atlas%20Copco%20Annual%20Report%202007_tcm17-510291.pdf |title=Annual Report 2007 |accessdate=2008-04-14 |publisher=Atlas Copco]
net_income = profit SEK 7,469 million (2007)
num_employees= 29,500 (2007)
homepage = [http://www.atlascopco.com/ www.atlascopco.com]
intl = yes
Atlas Copco is a Swedish industrial company that was founded in
1873. It manufactures industrial tooling and equipment.
The Atlas Copco Group, founded already in 1873, is a global industrial group of companies headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. Revenues for 2007 totaled BSEK 63. The Group employs more than 33,000 people. The Atlas Copco Group manufactures products on 68 production sites in 20 countries.
Atlas Copco companies develop and manufacture industrial tools, compressed air equipment, construction and mining equipment, assembly systems, and offer related service and equipment rental. The products are sold and rented under different brands through a worldwide sales and service network reaching 150 countries, half of which are served by wholly or partly owned sales companies. The Group operates through a number of divisions within four business areas; Compressor Technique, Construction and Mining Technique, and Industrial Technique.
February 21 1873– Company started as AB Atlas by Eduard Franckelwho was financed by A. O. Wallenbergand others.
* 1873 – AB Atlas acquired
Ekenbergs Soner, a railway carmaker.
* 1890 – AB Atlas underwent
liquidationafter suffering heavily financially due to competition from smaller niblecompanies. A.O. Wallenberg, his son and the bank Enskilda Bankenhelped in restructuring it.
* 1898 – AB Atlas acquired the rights for Sweden to manufacture
Rudolf Diesel's engine under a subsidiarycompany AB Diesels Motorer
* 1901 – the first
pneumatictool was officially added to the production line – a pneumatic rivetinghammer which was originally designed for their own workshops.
* 1905 – the first portable compressor was manuafactured* 1911 – AB Atlas completed a move away from railway car manufacturing to more advanced products: (compressors and machines driven by compressors) where competition was less.
* 1917 – AB Atlas consolidated the company under the name AB Atlas Diesel and ceased production of
* 1920 – AB Atlas Diesel compressor business was hurt after distribution collapsed due to
World War Iand demand dropped due to severe depression. This forced the company to emphasize the diesel engine business.
* 1924 – AB Atlas Diesel relocated to
Sickla, Nackaand sold some assets to improve liquidity.
* 1948 – AB Atlas Diesel sold out its diesel business after it turned out not to be as profitable as
aircompressors, despite the company putting lots of effort in it. Polar Atlas, a Swedish brand of marine diesel engine started in 1903, merged into Atlas Copco.
* 1956 – AB Atlas Diesel changed its name to Atlas Copco, its current name. The word copco is an acronym of the
Belgianequivalent of Compagnie Pneumatique Commerciale. Atlas Copco then acquired Arpic Engineering NV.
* 1968 – The AB Atlas Copco group was divided into three production companies – Atlas Copco Mining & Construction Techniques (MCT), Atlas Copco Airpower and Atlas Copco Tools.
* 1972 – Atlas Copco MCT introduce their first all hydraulic tophammer rockdrill COP1038.
* 1975 – AB Atlas Copco bought a majority of
Berema– known for lightweight petroldriven rock drills and breakers – a complement to their "Cobra" drill.
* 1976 – Small compressors for these drills were added, through the acquisition of
Mauguièrea French company.
* 2005 – Atlas Copco launches a revolutionary concept for mobile compressor. With an ultra resistant canopy, the HardHat give a new face to mobile compressors in the street. [http://www.atlascopco.com/hardhat]
* 2007 – Atlas Copco Flags Off the first Blast Hole Drill IDM30 manufactured from its high tech ADS facility at Nashik factory-June 28th.
1984, a dinosaurwas found close to Melbourne, Australiaand was named Atlascopcosaurus. The company had provided the equipment for the dig.
Atlas Copco Compressors began its sponsorship with Haas CNC Racing #70 in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2007 through a multi-year, strategic partnership including the Windshear Inc. wind tunnel in Concord, NC, due to open in the second quarter of 2008.
* [http://www.atlascopco.com/ Atlas Copco website]
* [http://www.geo-karelia.ru/atlascopco.php Atlas Copco in Russia - SP Vrema]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.