- Asyut Governorate
country = Egypt
name = Asyut
native_name = أسيوط
map_caption = Location of Asyut within Egypt
capital_lat_d = 27
capital_long_d = 31
population = 3500000
area = 25926
population_density = 119.6
Asyut Governorate ( _ar. أسيوط) is one of the governorates of
Egypt. It stretches for about 120 km along the banks of the Nile. The capital of the governorate is the city of Asyut.
* Total area: 25,926 km².
* Percentage to total area of
* Population: around 3.5 million (Male 51.21%; Female 48.79%).
* Population density: 119.6 people/km².
* Rural population: 2.2 million; urban population: 0.9 million.
* Percentage to the whole population of
* Population growth rate: 2.6% per year.
* Assiut Governorate administrative divisions: 11 localities, 52 local administrative units, 235 small villages, and 971 tiny villages. [http://www.asuit.gov.eg/EnglishSite/indexen.htm Official Website of the Government of Asyut]
The governorate of Asyut comprises eleven cities:
Asyut( Zawtyor Lykopolis)
* Qis (
Other important sites in the governorate of Asyut include:
The governorate of Asyut includes the
Ancient Egyptiantombs of Meir, and the town of Durunka, which is a pilgrimage site for many Coptswho come to visit a monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Prominent People from Asyut
Akhnoukh Fanous, political activist
Ester Fanous, female activist
Hafez Ibrahim, poet
Mustafa Lutfi al-Manfaluti, writer and poet
Pope Shenouda III of Alexandria, Pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church
Governorates of Egypt
* [http://www.asuit.gov.eg/EnglishSite/indexen.htm Official Website of the Government of Asyut]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.